Chapter five: The call

Chapter Five

The call

Moore walked into room 436 with Sarah in his arms. Alice laid on the bed, and right when she saw Sarah and Moore she jerked up straight with her arms out.

“Sarah.” She said and smiled

Moore walked over and handed Sarah to Alice, and smiled. Moore had changed his clothing since the last time she saw him.

“She asks a lot of questions.” He said and laughed

Sarah looked at Moore and giggled, Moore put his hand up

“High five.”

Sarah gave him a high 5.

Moore walked over to the side of the bed, and sat down.

And stared at Alice for a moment before he spoke

“I’m sorry.”

Alice didn’t look at Moore. She didn’t want to, she didn’t want him to see her cry again, until Sarah ruined that for her.

“Why are you crying mommy.” She said putting her little hands up to wipe the tears away from her mothers face.

Right when Sarah said that, Moore tried to catch her gaze.

He didn’t say anything, he knew she didn’t want to talk.

There was a long silence in the room, Sarah played with the TV remote.

The silence broke when Moore spoke

“They said you can leave today.”

Alice turned to look at Moore, he looked much older.

They gazed at each other for a moment.

“Why didn’t Gibson run?”

Moore stared at her for a moment, and didn’t say a word.

“I saw you, you talked to him before he died. What did he say.”

“Where were you at?”

He leaned back in the chair.

“Right beside you.”

Alice smiled.

"Just a random question. Your brother took adopted Sarah. Why didn't you keep her?"

Alice looked at the ground. 

"After my husband died, I just could't bare seeing her, she looked so much like him, her personality. Just everything."

Moore didn't say anything, he looked at Sarah with a smile on his face. His eyes narrowed.

" She looks like you." He smiled " I see you."

Alice chuckled.

"He always wanted kids, he wanted a little girl."

The tears where clouding her vision. She brushed them away.

"I visit her every Monday, Tuesday, and on the weekends. I take her on those days."

Moore was silent. When she looked at him, he was staring at the ground, as if trying to recall a memory.

As Moore was about to talk, the doctor walked in.

“Hey Mrs.. Johnson.” He said and walked up to the bed, and smiled at Sarah, and put his hand on her head, and messed up her hair.