Chapter 26

We keep driving, discussing plans on what we were going to do once we reach our destination. Julian studies the map Bethany's neighbour had given us. He reckons the best place to start looking for the cave is to start from Lake Thomas Campground. Paul had placed a red X on the map to show us where we need to go.

We make a few pit stops, stopping for gas, food and toilet break, but we didn't stop for more than fifteen minutes. We kept a look out for the cops, making sure we wouldn't get caught.

I fell asleep in the backseat with my sister when Bethany took over to drive. Bigfoot wanders into my dream as we run through the forest with him. He was protecting us from the soldiers who were after us. Through the forest I hear someone call out my name. I wasn't sure who was saying it or where it was coming from.

When I open my eyes I hear Sally calling my name as she gently shakes me. I turn to her.

"We are here, David," she says.

I glance out the window to see we were in the parking lot at Lake Thomas Campground. Since it was the weekend, the place was crawling with people having picnics or setting up tents or putting them down after camping here for a few days. It's noon, just like we had guessed we would be here by when we planned the trip. I wonder how long it's going to take us to find this cave, and when we do find Bigfoot, how are we going to get out of here without all of these people seeing him?

We get out of the car. Julian helps my sister out. I glance around me, catching my eye on the lake. It's a breathtaking view, and when I see it, I knew we are doing the right thing with rescuing Bigfoot and releasing him back into the wild. This is his habitat and we couldn't just take him away from it, especially to prove he exists.

Julian spreads out the map on the bonnet. "Okay, according to this map we need to head north east of the lake. The cave will be somewhere near a river that runs through the forest."

I stare at the map to where our destination is marked. Damn, this is going to be a long distance for Sally to walk. I turn to her. "Sally, are you sure you want to come with us? It's a long walk."

She nods. "I'm aware of the distance. Besides, we have come a long way from Seattle. I can't say no to this now."

I nod. She is right. "Okay, well if you need to stop, we will stop for you."

We set off, heading down a trail leading to the lake. I keep a close eye on my sister, making sure she was capable of walking, especially with the gravel or unsteady surfaces, as well as with other people, who were playing a game of catch, worried what would happen if the ball was to hit her. She could injure herself if she fell.

Relax, David, I tell myself. Sally will be fine. Right now she is not the one you should be thinking about.

I push aside of what could and might not happen to my sister out of my head. She will be fine. She has the three of us here if anything was to happen. Besides, I should be concentrating on Bigfoot and how we are going to locate this cave. My main concern was how we are going to fight against the soldiers who would be stopping us from going anywhere near the cave. We don't even have weapons to defend ourselves. Plus, if we had to run, how is Sally going to escape? Could she even run with a boot cast? I imagine so many different scenarios in my head, but couldn't work out which one will be the best scenario to rely on, especially when this whole mission is unpredictable.

We walk along the river bank, enjoying the scenery. I have no idea how far up the lake we had to travel until we have to go north east. I glance around at the scenery where the lakes were, the open space and the forest on either side of the lake, wondering whether or not if other sasquatches lived in the area if there were more than one. If there are, where could they be hiding? I visualise them hiding around the trees, watching us. I wasn't sure if I should be scared of them watching our every move. They wouldn't attack us, I don't think.