Chapter 25

My alarm wakes me up at five o'clock. I hit the snooze, wanting to go back to sleep, but knew I couldn't. I lie there for a few minutes before forcing myself out of bed and getting changed. I then head to my sister's room, tip toeing past my father's bedroom. I don't hear anything coming from his room, but I knew Sally and I have to be out of here by six. Even if it's Dad's day off today, he is still an early riser.

Sally is already up when I check on her. She struggles to put on her jeans and asks me to help her get the sleeve over the boot cast. I feel my cheeks burn as I help, wondering how she must feel with me walking into her room when she is semi-naked.

Once she was ready, Sally and I tip toe past dad's room slowly, walking down the stairs. I help her into my car, telling her to sit in the driver's seat so I could shift the car into nitro and push onto the street. Thankfully our house was a two car driveway, and I didn't have to worry about moving Dad's vehicle on the street so I could back out mine. Sally steers onto the street while I push the car from the bonnet. As soon as the car is on the street, I help Sally out and helped her into the passenger seat beside me.

As we drive to Julian's, Sally suggests we should stop by McDonald's and get something for breakfast. We go through the drive thru ordering breakfast for everyone. I had no idea what Bethany might like so I got whatever I thought she might want.

Julian is waiting and outside of his apartment when I pull up on the side of the kerb. He climbs into the seat behind Sally, surprised to see her.

"She wanted to come," I explain. "There was nothing I could say to stop her."

"Well, it's nice to have you on this trip, Sally," Julian says patting her shoulder. "Will you be alright with coming along with us?"

"I will be alright, Julian," Sally says.

"Okay, well if you feel like you can't walk, just let us know." He sniffs. "Mmm, what's that smell?"

I grab the paper bag on Sally's lap and hand it to Julian. "Here. We got breakfast for everyone." I reach for the large coffee cup that's label cappuccino from the cup holder in between Sally and me, handing it to him. Coffee was the one thing Julian needed to have in the morning to make sure he is awake, especially if he has been up half of the night studying or staring through a telescope.

He thanks me, taking a sip of his coffee.

I pull away from the kerb and head towards Bethany's home. She was waiting outside on the sidewalk. She kept looking back at the house, where a light is on. Hopefully she had no problems sneaking out.

She jumps into the car as soon as I pull up to the kerb. She tells me to quickly drive, and I do.

"Sorry about that," she says once we are away from her house. "I almost got caught by my mom from sneaking out."

"No need to apologise," I tell her.

Julian holds out the McDonald's bag to Bethany. "Would you like some breakfast? David and Sally brought everyone something."

I smile at him, hoping he wouldn't see me. I couldn't believe how much progress he has made with talking to Bethany. I wonder after we deal with Bigfoot would he have enough confidence to ask her to the prom.

Bethany thanks us. She then acts surprise to see Sally sitting in the passenger seat beside me. "Hey, Sally. I didn't take notice of you sitting there. You're David's sister, right?"

Sally nods. "Yes, and you must be the girl who Jul –"

I clamp my hand on my sister's mouth before she can continue the rest of the sentence. I keep my hand there for a short time before I had to remove my hand so I could use two hands to turn a corner.