Chapter 23

I didn't have the energy to get out of bed the next morning. I did manage to stumble out of bed to use the bathroom, but then I went back to bed. I couldn't feel the need to get up and do something. I had a dream about Sasquatch being tortured. I couldn't do anything to save him. Ken Brooke was in my dream as well, demanding to know where Sasquatch was, threading to kill me if I didn't tell him.

Dad doesn't come to check on me. He probably assumes I am still asleep, considering on Saturday mornings I sleep in until about ten after being out with Julian for half of the night. Even when my stomach grumbles I didn't bother to get up for food.

Around ten o'clock I heard the door bell ringing. I continue to lie there and hoped Dad was still home to answer it. Whether or not if he did answered it, I wasn't sure. I soon find out my answer when I hear his car starting up in the driveway. I wonder who was at the door. Even when he is gone, I still can't find the energy to get out of bed. A few minutes later after Dad had left, I hear tapping coming from my window. I force myself to sit up and see Julian sitting on the roof outside my window.

I sigh, forcing myself out of bed and cross to my window, opening it. I help Julian inside. He must have been the one who was at the door earlier, but got turned away by Dad. Bethany is here as well.

"What are you guys doing here?" I ask them. "I thought you were working on your play for Drama."

"We were, but then we thought we would come see you and see how you are," Julian replies.

"Your Dad wouldn't allow us to come upstairs and see you," Bethany says. "He said you weren't allow visitors and he also said he was leaving to go to the hospital to see your sister."

"Okay, well if you are going to stay here, don't stay for too long or you will be in huge trouble by my dad," I tell them both.

"Don't worry," Julian says. "He won't know."

"What can I do for you?"

Julian opens his bag and pulls out a small tub of Ben and Jerry's cookies and cream flavour ice cream, along with a plastic spoon. "Would you like some?"

I smile at him and take both the tub and spoon from him. Cookies and cream was my favourite ice cream flavour.

I thank him for the tub. He hands Bethany a chocolate flavour one and then takes out a mint-choc for himself.

"So, you have been lying in your bed all morning?" Julian asks, opening the tub.

I nod as I sit down on my bed, placing the lid in front of me, digging into my ice cream. "I feel like there is no reason to get up and do something.

Julian and Bethany join me on the bed, eating their dessert. This may not stop the hunger pains I feel, but at least I was eating something.

"Have you heard any news on Bigfoot?" Bethany asks.

I shake my head. "Dad won't speak to me much. And even if he did, his work is confidential. So he wouldn't tell me anything. All I know is that he has to hand Bigfoot over to the government. Once he does that he isn't able to have anything else to do with the case."

Bethany and Julian smile at me. I stare at them, wondering why they were smiling. Couldn't they both see that this wasn't a smiling situation?

"What?" I ask.

"Bethany and I have been talking before we came here," Julian says. "She thinks she might know how to find Bigfoot so we can rescue him. She wants to help us to release him in the wild."