Chapter 24

Considering Bethany's home was twelve blocks from my home, where she lived near Wolf Bay, going by car would be quicker. But instead I take my skateboard, zooming down the pavement with it. It was best I left my car in the driveway because if it wasn't there and Dad returned early, I would be in even more trouble where I probably wouldn't be able to leave home until I'm fifty.

The streets are deserted as I zoomed through the suburban area. I kept a lookout every way I turned, making sure Dad or his colleagues weren't patrolling the area. I soon meet up with Julian when we are just a block away, where he was riding his bicycle.

Bethany meets us outside her neighbour's home, which had a hedge in the front yard. She waves to us. Julian and I both get off our skateboard and bike.

"You guys didn't have trouble getting here?" she asks us.

We shake our heads.

We follow her up the driveway. Julian and I left our belongings beside the stairs and then walk up them. The porch light switches on. Bethany was just about to knock on the door when a man in his forties answers the door. He ushers us in, telling us to take a seat in the living room.

I sit on the three-seated brown couch at the end with Julian beside me and Bethany at the other end. I sit there with my hands in my lap and twiddling my thumbs. I glance around the room. Everywhere you look there is something with Sasquatch – pictures, lamp, a mole of his foot. Gosh, I don't think I have ever seen this much artefacts or seen anyone keep a room full of it. I wonder what else he has that isn't displayed in this room.

The man walks in, asking us if we wanted a drink. We answer no. He sits down in a matching arm chair that is to the left of us.

We sit there waiting for him to start speaking. He watches us. I wasn't sure what he was waiting for.

"So you are the two boys who cried Sasquatch," he says finally.

I nod. "That's correct."

"So who are you?" Julian asks.

"I'm sorry," he apologises. "I should have introduced myself as soon as I invited you inside. My name is Paul. As you can see, I collect Bigfoot artefacts."

"How long have you been collecting them for?"

"When I was nine I went on a camping trip with my family. I was sitting beside the river when I saw something behind the trees. My dad said it was only a bear, but it didn't look like a bear to me. Since my encounter I collected everything of him, proving that Sasquatches do exist."

"Would you know where he could have been taken to?" Bethany asks.

Paul nods and crosses his leg over his knee. "I'm about to tell you something that you cannot tell anyone at all."

We promise we wouldn't. Even if we did say something, no one would believe us. They would laugh at us and tell us we have lost our minds.

"A while ago I went on one of my expeditions to search for Bigfoot," he resumes. "Are you familiar with Maze Cave?"

My friends and I look at each other, seeing who could know the answer. Bethany's face was blank. I wasn't very great in geography. In fact I'm the last person you could ever ask to be in charge of directions. I glance at Julian for answers. If he isn't looking out for aliens, he spends his time memorising maps. He has located every river, lake, campsite and trail in the forest. I may go up there with him every time, but I couldn't remember every detail.

"Isn't it in Jamaica?" Julian questions.

Paul nods. "Yes, it is. But I'm not talking about that cave. I'm talking about the one here in Washington State. It's located in the Colville National Forest."