Chapter 13

We walked around a little while longer before making our way back to the campground. I didn't want to go back and I didn't care if it got dark. I wanted to keep looking. Julian suggested we leave a little early tomorrow to get home, knowing there was a chance we weren't going to be able to find him at all.

Maybe I could sneak out once Sally and Julian has fallen asleep, continuing the search for him.

Sally sits on a picnic bench, playing a game on her phone while Julian and I set up the tent. As night falls, we place the baked beans over the fire. I found some sticks and used them to put the pieces of steak over the fire. My sister's phone rings and I knew straight away who it is.

"Lie and tell him you are staying at Megan's," I tell my sister.

"I can't lie to Dad," she tells me. "He will know something is up."

"I know. But if you tell him, he will drive up here and make us end the trip."

Sally listens to me and tells Dad she is with Megan. I didn't know whether or not if he will buy her lie, but hopefully he won't find out where we are. He will know where I am and I prayed silently to myself that he wouldn't come here. Thankfully we are the only ones on the campgrounds. I don't want to be dragged away with my dad in the middle of the night and waking the other campers.

"David?" Sally looks over at me, wide-eyed as she tried to figure out how to continued lying to dad. No doubt he has asked her where I am. "David is staying with Julian. He told me he is working on an assignment with him."

I held my breath, hoping Dad would not continue asking my sister so many questions. She wasn't great at lying. I don't know how well he could detect the tone of her voice over the phone, but if he was face to face with her, there's a chance he would know exactly if she is fibbing. He deals with so many criminals each day who would say anything just to get out of trouble.

Sally ends the call. "Do you think he will buy my lies?"

I shrug. "Not sure, but hopefully he does."

An owl suddenly hoots in a nearby tree. I jump and cursed softly. Both Julian and Sally laugh at me.

"Are you sure you will be able to get through tonight?" Julian grins.

I playfully punch him in the arm. "Shut up." I stick out my tongue.

"So what are we going to do for the rest of the night?" Sally asks as she grabs a piece of bread. She placed it at the end of a stick and placed it over the fire to toast it.

"Well there isn't much that we really can do. Our plans were to walk around and search for Bigfoot, but it's far too dangerous to wander around the forest in the dark."

"We could tell ghost stories if you like," Julian suggests.

We agree to do that as we ate our dinner. Julian tells the story. He uses Bigfoot as part of it where he meets a ghost. Together the duo terrorises a city. I'm surprised he never used aliens in his tale. In English assignments when we are asked to create a short story he always adds them as characters, depending on what we are told to write. I never really thought of him as a storyteller, but he tells it so well. I write a lot of short stories, but I never showed them to anyone. It's not like I thought they weren't good enough. I just think sometimes a writer's thoughts are best kept as a secret until we are ready to tell the world.

Maybe I should suggest to Julian to put together a collection of short stories on extra-terrestrials, and I could help him to co-write it.

The story doesn't leave me scared, but it does for Sally. She decides to head to bed early, climbing into the tent. I told her she can have my sleeping bag. Hopefully there will be enough room in the tent for the three of us.