Chapter 9 (Part One): Locked Out Of Heaven

"So, you nasty girl, tell me everything about Tennessee!" Shane threw himself on the couch, excited. "Can't wait to hear every little detail about the Aly and Crawford War. And if you want to know, I find it all very sexy, don't send me to hell." He said, making his friend laugh.

Aly stared at him, taking a sip of water.

She had set foot in her house for less than half an hour, but Shane was quick to materialize there before she even sent him a text. Gave herself a laugh, thinking about how to tell about the holiday, and her best friend stared at her, with raised eyebrows.

"Never thought I would say that but it was... kinda of amazing." The actress smiled. "Very fun, to be honest."

By saying that, Alyssa was certain she saw Shane's jaw open a crater in the ground, which made her laugh too loud.

"What was it? How do you...? You..." Shane seemed extremely confused, which was hilarious. Aly hold her laugh.

"Matthew was unrecognizable, Shane. I believe we totally sold the whole couple thing." She said, staring off. "He was capable of convincing my father he was a decent guy for me and I still don't know how! He didn't want to tell me."

"I think I'll need a vodka to swallow all of this." The boy replied, almost laughing, and Aly accompanied him. And then he frowned, moving closer. "What's up with you?"

"With me?" the girl laughed. "Nothing."

"Alyssa..." Shane rebuked, then laughed. "You still think that, after years of friendship, you can fool me? What are you hiding?"

"Nothing, Shane, you're being paranoid!" She replied, bouncing in her chair to then seat straight.

Silence.

"OK, OK!" She said, neurotic, and Shane smiled, victorious. "We kinda... Well. We almost kissed."

"YOU ALMOST WHAT?!" Shane shouted with wide eyes. "You bitch, when were you going to tell me this? C'MON, I WANT TO KNOW ALL THE SORDID DETAILS!"

Alyssa cackled a bit restlessly, but then took a deep breath.

"We had a moment, I can't really explain. I think we got ourselves too much into character." She said, thoughtful. "We're dancing and almost kissed."

"Why almost?" Shane eagerly asked, almost kneeling on the coffee table, making the girl hold her laugh while watching him.

"Because Owen appeared out of nowhere and interrupted us."

"And what happened after that, woman?"

"Nothing happened after that, Shaney." Alyssa laughed, getting up. "It was just a moment, I told you so!"

"But aren't you thinking even a tiny bit about it?" The guy prompted and she rolled her eyes.

"I'm not going to lie, it made me wonder." She replied and saw Shane's eyes spark. "I thought we were going to talk it over the flight back to LA, but we're so exhausted we slept during the whole flight. And you know what? It's better this way. I'm happy we finally can be civil around each other, which is unprecedented."

Shane rolled his eyes impatiently.

"But he's so freaking hot. You're killing me, Alyssa. A sperm at a time." He said which made her laugh out loud.

"It doesn't matter, Shane. I won't ruin the perfect professional contract for a few kisses or a one night stand, which is all Matthew Crawford has to offer anyways." She shaked her head and laughed. "Control your hormones, Shaney Pie."

***

"I almost kissed her." Matthew said and saw Luke's eyes go wide and Lexi jumped to her feet, completely freaked out.