Chapter 41: The Queen of Dusk

Start from the beginning

The mist began to clear before him, revealing the silhouette of a beast. Eyes opened, glowing blue in the dark, and Dearekk found himself standing before a monstrous, dragon-like creature. The beast’s scales were a dull blue color, as if they had once been shining and beautiful, only to be worn down by the sands of time.

A huge head swooped down until it was only a few feet away from the half-elf. “Blade-Bearer,” a voice rumbled, “Child of the Sun, Seeker of the Cursed. In our wildest dreams, we could not have wished for this to come.”

Summoning all of his courage, Dearekk called out, “Who are you? And what do you want?”

“Why, my dear boy!” the creature exclaimed, “I want only to meet you! Revolaton has told me so much about you and your…exploits.”

Letting out a scoff, Dearekk replied, “I would hardly call them ‘exploits’. Travels, misfortunes, life-threatening encounters, perhaps; but exploits? Not a chance.”

A low hiss escaped the lizard’s mouth as she pulled away, and the boy was quick to jump in front of Dearekk. “The boy meant no disrespect,” he said hastily, “He is untrained in our ways and knows nothing. Forgive him, my queen.”

When the creature spoke it was as if three voices blended together; a young girl’s, a woman’s and an old crone’s all mixed as one. “Very well. It shall be forgiven…this time.”

The boy went into a deep bow. “Your graciousness and kindness is ever appreciated, and we are forever thankful.” Nudging Dearekk, the brown-haired youth whispered, “Do not speak unless spoken to, show no disrespect, and do whatever Her Majesty, the Queen of Dusk, Healith asks of you.”

For a moment, the boy looked as if he was going to say more, but then shut his mouth when the beast drew near to Dearekk again. “You are a brave soul,” she whispered. “You have faced down your darkest nightmares and have scars to show for your battles fought. Yet have you been rewarded? Have you even been thanked, Child of the Sun?”

Reluctantly and suspiciously, Dearekk replied with a short, “No.”

Healith reeled backwards in shock and horror. “No? No! Why? All you have ever done is help those who needed it and protected the innocent. You must over throw a tyrant and one has not even thanked you? What a cruel world you live in!”

Dearekk simply shrugged. He had never thought that he needed anyone to thank him. This was his quest, his burden. It was not as if he expected people to thank him for trying to overthrow the only monarch they had ever known. Not to mention that the chances of his rebellion actually working seemed slim at times. He did not blame others for not wanting to associate themselves with the so-called, “Rebel Prince.”

“You do not feel as if you have enough power?” the dragon-like beast asked.

Shocked that she knew his, Dearekk took a step back. “How did you know that?” he asked in an almost angry tone.

Revolaton hissed in the background, obviously warning him to remember his place. But Healith only let out a small chuckle, her scaled head bobbing with laughter. Suddenly the mist thickened and swirled around the Queen of Dusk. When it cleared again, a beautiful woman in a white dress stood before him, eyes glowing blue. A scale pattern came slightly above her dress and up her neck, only to stop before it reached her face.

“It was written all over your expression, Blade-Bearer,” she replied, a kind smile on her face. “I can give you the power you need...and more, if you wish. You will never need to fear anyone again. You just have to do one thing for me…”

Warily, Dearekk studied the woman in front of him. Her long black hair, blowing in an invisible wind, for some reason reminded him of Sonya. For a second, and only a second, his heart ached as he thought of the hardheaded elf girl. Was she feeling afraid? Lonely? Most likely not. Dearekk had to hold in a chuckle as he envisioned Sonya kicking his motionless body, trying to get him to wake. Or perhaps he would wake and find himself in his bed in the castle, none of this adventure being anything but a dream.