Memo to the Assembly, #1

FROM THE DESK OF NAOMI WELLER

While I understand your motivation to hurry our latest developments, on behalf of my fellow researchers, I must request additional time to complete further testing. At this point, all adverse consequences that result from complete memory erasure have not been eliminated, and we are not yet certain how they may materialize in the future.

As you'll recall, the current method for memory modification left autobiographical memories volatile and susceptible to "triggers", external stimuli that can reawaken the dormant memories. Although you have made it clear that you view this as a liability, at the time, triggers were a necessary precaution. Since the mechanisms of human memory had yet to be explored, our researchers relied on a weaker pill to protect neighboring regions of the brain responsible for retaining factual information and knowledge of how to complete ordinary tasks. I've said it many times before, but I feel I must reiterate once more: these regions of the brain cannot be compromised if you want the city's people to remain functional.

I can assure you that the elimination of the risk of triggers is a priority in our research, but a precise solution will require time and patience. In our most recent round of test subjects, while their susceptibility to triggers was minimized, reduced verbal recognition and literacy was also recorded. I am sure you'll understand that those are hazards we are not ready to introduce to Gotten, hence our request for an extended development period.

Best regards,

Naomi Weller

Director of Research and Scientific Advancement