Chapter 15

<< FON CARLSON >>

When the next morning comes, Fon realizes that she's not able to sleep a wink. She was thinking about her future and what to do, especially now that her chance to become a Great Witch is pulverized into dust.

She gets up thinking of fighting once more for her case. She needs them to realize that they can't make her regret saving all those lives. She even saved the lives of Utente's aberrants! She needs to fight for her case, no matter how hopeless it may seem.

"Fon, is it really fine for you to get up now? I'm really worried for you," Rissa asks as they make their way to the banquet hall.

"You don't have to," she assures her.

"Also, I heard that we have strange guests. They said they want to meet you and they are waiting at Philomena's office."

She raises her brows at her. "Guests for me?"

"Yes. Although, I think you should not meet them," Rissa says. "They are really handsome though."

She laughs and pats the top of Rissa's head. Seriously, Rissa never fails to make her happy even if it's not intentional.

"I'm just fine, stop worrying about me, okay?"

"I can't help it."

"Now that you mention that they want to meet me. I think I'd like to take a look at them instead."

"But Fon–"

"Want to come with me?" she asks.

Rissa beams at that and holds her hand. "Then, let's meet these strange, but handsome, guests!" she squeals.

"I doubt they will defeat your strangeness. You are the weirdest person I know, so I don't think I should be concerned."

So, instead of the banquet hall, they walk towards the courtyard, climb the stairs, and into Philomena's office. Standing in front of it, Fon encloses her hands on the doorknob. She glances at Rissa and asks, "Are you ready?"

Rissa nods her head vigorously. Fon smiles. She can't help but delude herself, that maybe, it's her little ray of hope. Maybe, Philomena is going to tell her that among the candidates, she is the most capable to become the Great Witch, and that, the decision about her Great Search participation will be invalidated. Then, they will tell her that she would become the next Great Witch and she will have no other competitor that comes close to her skills as a witch.

Fon knocks and opens the door to Philomena's office. Inside, Philomena is looking at her with furrowed brows. Fon loses her little hope and sighs.

Yet, despite her hopes being shattered, she notices an old stately woman sitting beside two equally handsome gentlemen who are at least a decade older than her. Well, at least Rissa is correct about the handsome guests.

"Is this the girl we are talking about?" the stately, old woman asks. She scrutinizes her from head to toe. "Did you call for her?"

"Yes, Madame, that is Fon, one of the candidates for the Great Search," Philomena answers. "And no, I didn't call for her yet. I was expecting her after her breakfast. She might have heard of the appearance of guests so she comes here," Philomena adds and Fon can hear the admonishment in it. However, she is more curious about this 'madame'.

"My son told me to bring him the prodigy in this little start-up school. How could you be sure that she is the one? Prodigies are not always the apprentice leading the class."

"I am aware of that, Madame. Nevertheless, I am certain that she is the one that Theofolso, your son, is asking for."

Fon's eyes widen at the mention of the name. Theofolso? Are they talking about the Great Wizard of the North?!

"Then, by all means, we need to be on our way. Come and help the little child, Lector and Hector. We have to give her the proper education she needed," the old woman says. She gestures to the two handsome guys with a flick of her wrist.

"Excuse me, Philomena. And you, old woman," Fon starts, her eyes are still on the 'madame'. She even notices how the old woman stopped short of being called 'old' and the way Rissa giggles beside her. She returns her attention to Philomena and catches her smiling.

"The old woman you are referring to is Rose, Fon," Philomena introduces.

"Such a normal-sounding name. She is not a witch then?" she asks.

She refers to the fact that those with a greater number of syllables in their names signify their position and power in the witch's world. Most students have one syllable. Some have two syllables which depend on their academics or previous contribution to society. Rissa is from a noble family and has high grades, despite being weird. Her experiments also earned her a couple of awards when she was just a kid.

"No, I am not. And you should be more careful around me, girl. I rarely tolerate insubordination and I hate bratty little girls," the old woman says.

"Are you related to that witch Rosa? The one with Utente?" she asks.

"No. Of course not," the old woman answers. She raises her brows and looks at Philomena, but Philomena just shrugs her shoulders so she returns her attention to her. "Don't be thinking yourself as high and mighty because you, yourself, still have a one-syllable witch name. You are even rejected to participate in any Great Search."

Fon's eyebrows arches. Her words don't hurt her but she thinks that Madame Rose might be fond of very long explanations.

"Fon, Madame Rose is the mother of the Great Wizard in the North," Philomena interjects. "They had come a long way to meet you."

So she was right?! "Madame Rose is the mother of that Great Wizard, Theofolso?! The one who had the most amazing Divination skills in the world? The one who is currently hailed as the richest man?"

Philomena nods.

"Oh! This is the same Theofolso who is known as a mama's boy?!"

"Fon!" Philomena scolds.

Madame Rose glares at her but Fon ignores it.

"Shall we go back to the main topic, please?" Philomena asks. She starts to massage her temple, a sign that she is getting annoyed and impatient.

Fon shifts her attention to Madame Rose. "You referred to me as prodigy even if I am rejected by the Council to become a Great Witch. Are you here to tell me I am no longer banned from participating in the Great Search?"

"No," Madame Rose answers. She can also sense her patience getting thin.

"If not, then, are you here to tell me that they changed their minds about me being disqualified? Are you here to celebrate because they have found their new Great Witch?" she asks, even if there is little hope for that ever happening. She still wants to say it though, maybe it will come true.

"Philomena, can you make this prodigy shut up," Madame Rose says. "Her voice is hurting my ears."

Philomena takes a deep breath and informs her, "Fon, Madame Rose is here to take you to the North where you can further your study. Theofolso requests for you to become his apprentice. He is also willing to teach you Divination."

To be continued...