Chapter 16

<< FON CARLSON >>

"I thought he doesn't take apprentices?" Fon asks.

"For you, he is making exemptions," Philomena explains.

"But study in the North... that's too far! Besides, my family won't be able to handle my extra expenses. Is it really a necessity for me after being disqualified from the Search?"

Philomena leans forward. "To be honest, Fon, it's the only choice you have. Graduating here will get you jobs, but... the opportunity to get higher positions will be harder for you, especially since you are blacklisted from the Search."

Fon looks at the ground. This is one of the times, that decisions come harder for her. She still wants to join the Great Search, but is there a chance if she stays in the Academy?

"Your orphanage had been told about it. All your expenses will be covered and they don't need to spend extra money on your expenses," Madame Rose interjects. "Besides, orphanages are not required to send their charges to far-flung schools. I'm surprised yours allowed that."

"Fon, I do not doubt that you will become a Great Witch someday. In what region..." Philomena thinks. "... still depends on you."

"The region where she will become a Great Witch depends on her? We already talked about that!" Madame Rose opposes, but one look from Philomena stopped her.

"What do you mean?" Fon asks. It's evident that Philomena is irritated.

"You see Fon. That brat Theofolso," Philomena starts. There is a look of reminiscing on her face. "He–"

"Don't call my son a brat! That is being rude to a Great Wizard!" Madame Rose groans. "This is why I told my son multiple times not to socialize with witches so much!"

Fon knows that screaming like this repeatedly is not a good idea, especially not in Philomena's presence. However, Madame Rose continues to scream while the two men named Hector and Lector are already tensed and ready to attack at any time. This is not the place for an all-out brawl though.

"Madame Rose, I think you are the one who is being rude," Philomena reacts.

'There it is,' Fon thinks. She's been subjected to that tone multiple times. She also knows that one more push and these three will get some kind of injury.

"You are currently at my abode and those guard wizards you brought with you? They are no match for me," she threatens. "I think you and your guard already know that."

Fon shivers and stops herself from smirking. There is a challenge in Philomena's tone and she is waiting for a good response from Madame Rose. That tone of voice scares her till now. She already learned her lesson though. Philomena is usually nice, calm, and gentle–that is until her buttons are pushed.

However, Madame Rose is smarter than Fon's younger self. Instead of countering Philomena's mood, she slumps heavily into the chair and drinks from the glass of water that's waiting for her at the nearby table.

Now, that it is silent again, Philomena takes a deep breath. "So regarding that brat," she starts and shifts her attention to Fon. "Theofolso wanted a witch bride. Instead of looking into the apprentices of other witches, he looked into mine."

"Isn't that a good thing? A Great Wizard thinks highly of you," she answers.

"It is not necessarily a good thing, Fon." She massages her temple again and continues, "Listen carefully. That brat chose you to be his witch bride."

"Oh!" she exclaims. "But I'm too young for him."

"You don't have to marry him too early. He will wait for you to be eighteen or twenty, it all depends on you. But in the meantime, while waiting to be that age, you will study in the North. You will become his apprentice. You will be by his side. You will be his partner. And then, when the time comes, you will become his wife and he will transfer the mantle of being one of the Greats to you."

Fon is silent for a while until realization dawns on her. "Oh!" she exclaims. Her eyes widen in both surprise and delight. "I will become the Great Witch of the North through marriage?!"

Philomena nods, and Fon makes a little jump. She moves towards Philomena and takes her hand. "Thank you! I have never seen it that way! Of course, there is another way for me to become a Great Witch! That is excellent news!"

"Fon, you are going to marry a man who is two decades older than you. More importantly, you haven't met the brat. Are you really prepared for that?"

"It's just marriage. Most girls go through that. I am certain I will survive."

"Fon, this is marriage. You will have to put up with him forever."

"I have seen him in my books and studies, is he ugly compared to his pictures?"

"No, actually he was regarded by other witches as good-looking."

"Is he hard to get along with? Perhaps, he is insufferable?"

"Not so much, he is a brat and whimsical. I am not entirely sure if he outgrew that."

"Then what is there to be so afraid about? He seemed likable enough. I think I can fall in love with him if I set my mind on it."

"Love does not work that way."

"But I can become a Great Witch, Philomena! Can you imagine?!"

"And you are being short-sighted again."

"Marriage is still in the future. A lot will happen and in fact, I am looking forward to it! If I can marry him sooner, I want to do it!"

Philomena sighs as if she is a lost cause and has already given up explaining the risks of marrying a Great Wizard.

Fon, on the other hand, is ecstatic. The opportunity is brilliant and she won't let it slip her by. Falling in love and marriage are just some side issues that she can deal with later on.

She squeezes Philomena's hand and assures her, "Don't worry so much. I will be alright. You know I am capable of anything. This is a chance for me, Philomena. You know how much I wanted to become a Great Witch."

Another sigh escapes Philomena's lips. "Then, I will require you to be in constant communication, do you understand?" she asks, squeezing her hand back.

Fon nods and smiles. She's confident that Theofolso will like her magick. He won't regret taking her in as his apprentice.

"If that's settled, come child, let me help you pack your things. We will travel as soon as possible," Madame Rose interjects, a bit kinder this time.