Chapter 22

<< MYRIELLE KLEINFELD >>

Myrielle sips tea while looking outside the window of their assigned chamber.

"How's the tea?" Finn asks as he hovers around her.

Instead of answering, she says, "The elders should stop putting Fon on edge. They are just making her life unbearable when there's no need to be. All she ever wanted is to provide food and shelter for her huge family."

"Is that the reason she wants to become a Great Witch?"

Myrielle nods while she massages her temple. "I think so. Being one of the Greats means huge housing will be provided to her. That way, there's no need for her family to be given to different houses and families. You know how aberrant orphanage works."

"The term is adopted, not given," he corrects. He sits beside her and pours himself a cup of tea. "Is that what your research says about her?"

She nods. Her eyes are on him as he silently sips the tea that he prepared. He is excited about brewing it and pairing it up with biscuits. Up till now, she still can't understand his need to serve her. Maybe that's why they work so well together. She can't be bothered with those things, and Finn is... too homely and nurturing. A perfect match for her, else her health had given out with the way she travels before meeting Finn.

Myrielle takes a piece of biscuit from the bowl. Her family is the one responsible for researching the Great Search candidates. They already suspected Prim's plans, but when they reported it to the Council, they turned a deaf ear. The Council reasoned out that the Jaxon clan is an honorable family, and it won't be a good idea to accuse them of something impossible. Thankfully, the entire Kleinfeld clan helped her, and Philomena was very willing to provide support as well.

"How were the biscuits with the tea?" Finn asks.

There is delight on his face. He looks very happy doing these things. When she met him in the farmlands, he was a scowling man and a bit suicidal. He had no family and yet, he continues to work the land that isn't his in the first place.

"It's perfect," she answers.

It tastes really good, but not perfect. Yet, she finds it to be her role to make him happy with these simple things. Serving her without pay has been too much already, so she never lacks in her praises for him.

"Oh! You are just making me embarrassed!" he beams. "I did the cookies, by the way."

"Oh, that's why it's different, but in a good way. Don't let others taste this, they might hire you as their personal baker."

His grin widens. He takes her hands and places more on them. "There you go, eat more. I can just make more later."

"Finn, I can't eat all of this in one go."

"Oh, right! You need to watch your weight."

She rolls her eyes at him.

"Just kidding," he adds and lightly pinches her cheeks. It was quick and then, he's off to take care of something again, probably to take care of the dishes.

Myrielle looks outside the window again and encloses the cup of tea in her hands. Finn had been telling her to put trust in Fon's heart and upbringing. Yet, she can't help but doubt it. If a human–witch or aberrant–loses something really important, corruption starts. It almost happened to her, if not for her family and meeting Finn.

Finn places a plate of cake on the table. "What is this?" she asks. "Don't tell me you did them too?"

"Well, this academy has been very generous to me," he leans closer and whispers, "especially the kitchen staff. They give me lots of leftover ingredients."