Chapter 18

<< FON CARLSON >>

The bleachers are covered with decorations and the names of the three remaining Great Search participants are written everywhere. Fon can't help but imagine that she is with the other contestants on the grounds.

"These portals are gateways to places outside the East main continent. A place where unknown creatures are said to prowl," Jayden introduces.

Fon takes another deep sigh. That would be pretty exciting. New creatures. New adventures. Which means new ways to gauge her power.

"Inside, you must acquire a list of items that you will get randomly from a box," he continues.

As a trigger, a fishbowl appears within his arm's reach. He holds the bowl and ushers the other contestants to come closer to him.

"This bowl contains a paper with the list of all the items the participants can retrieve. Each one is different, but each is assured of at least three items," he further explains.

As directed, the three participants approach and take one list from the bowl. While they are checking out the list, Jayden continues, "Scores will be based on the items that you retrieve. It doesn't matter how you get it or how long it takes for you to get it. But there's a time limit of three hours."

Ayin, Cesky, and Sven stand before the portal that they have chosen to enter first. The surrounding atmosphere is tense and their eyes are focused on what's in front. She can even see a hint of magic getting activated around their body, well that is, except for Ayin who needs to save his magick as much as possible.

"Each portal has all the items in the list. But if you find out, the other items will vanish and you will need to enter another portal." Jayden pauses for a little dramatic effect and in a loud voice, he booms, "If you are ready, GO!!"

At his signal, Sven and Cesky run towards the portals, leaving Ayin on the grounds. Fon frowns, especially at the way he glances at her. They meet each other's eyes and he makes a half-smile before going into his chosen portal.

'What was that?' she thought, confused at the way he looks at her.

Once the three participants are inside, a screen appears on the ground. There is one screen for each of the ten portals in the ground. Three of these show the three participants as they search for the items listed on their drawn list.

Cesky is having trouble looking for her items. As a result, Sven and Ayin finish the first two on their list and are now looking for their last item.

Sven finds it first and comes out of the portal. Everyone greets her with warm applause and the smile on her face tells her that the little girl knows that she might become the Great Witch of the East.

"If she really becomes the Great Witch, the East can be saved then," she murmurs. "But after a decade of dedicated training."

"You really do like her," Rissa comments.

"Like is different from acknowledgment," she answers. "Out of all the participants, she's the only one who has a chance to become a powerful Great Witch."

'Not to mention that she has almost half of my magick because of that blasted Utente,' she thought.

"You are forgetting that there is a wizard competing."

"Negligible," she says.

"Not everyone is as powerful as you."

"I am powerful, but that kid is still growing. If I become lax with my training, she can reach my level."