Chapter 20

<< FON CARLSON >>

And with that, Fon watches Myrielle as she places her hands against the ground, and a shimmering wall of magick sprouts from the ground and envelops the anthurium.

"W-what?!" she exclaims, but she isn't able to do anything else.

The entire barrier from Myrielle already overwhelms the beast. The anthurium didn't even sense Myrielle. Is that the power of the powerless?

Fon is about to smirk at her thoughts when the by-product of the sealing circle hits them. Ayin claps his palms behind her and a cylindrical object that looks like a can of aberrant drinks appears.

However, unable to efficiently use one magick type over another at one time, the sealing can hover for a while and then fall on the ground.

"Stupid wizard!" she snaps at him.

She tightens her hands against the handle of her broom and swoops into the sealing can. Ayin tightly holds on to her. If not, he would be thrown off her broom.

"Take the freaking can!" she orders him.

Ayin extends his hands towards the falling sealing object. After he grabs it, they both shift their attention to Myrielle who is obviously straining at the weight of her magick usage.

Ayin whispers something to the can, bites his thumb, and presses it against the top of the can. Going to the top middle of the anthurium, Ayin drops it at the same time that Myrielle's negligible magick gets exhausted.

The anthurium that is imprisoned within Myrielle's barrier implodes. And when it finishes its due, its remnants go into the sealing can. The instant it did, it explodes, hurtling her and Ayin from the air and into the school grounds.

The instant they hit the ground, she feels Ayin's arms envelop her and protect her from the fall. Annoyed that she was being protected, she materializes water to cushion their impact against the wall of earth she created earlier.

Softening their landing, her eyes go to where the anthurium was. At the same time that the wall of earth she created crumbles, she sees the unconscious Myrielle beside her sealing circle that's slowly disappearing. Instead of the sealing can, there is only a gem on the ground.

Fon tries to get up, but it is painful. So, still lying on the ground, she calls up her wind and calls for the gem to come to her.

Holding the gem, she studies it. It is a red-yellow gem. It is sharing the same color as the anthurium flower.

"Myr!" comes both Sven's and Finn's voices.

Then, one of the active portals opens up and Cesky comes out with her third item. Confusion instantly replaced her smile when she scours the area.

"What happened?" she asks, but no one answered her question.

Instead, Jayden announces the end of the competition and the judges climb down their stage to close off the remaining portals. They might be worried that they inadvertently opened up a portal to the island of anthuriums.

"Are you alright?" Ayin asks, interrupting her musings.

He tries to help her, but when she notices his arms are bleeding, she slaps his hands away. With a grunt, she sits up. But Ayin is sitting too close to her for comfort. His hand is even touching her shoulders, and his eyes are scouring her body to check for injuries.

"I will be okay if you don't crowd me," she snaps at him. Ayin reddens again, but he obeys and lets her go.

Then shadow looms over her. She raises her head to see Philomena's scowling face.