Normal

Rex ~

"Remember the time when you actually got the ball through the hoop?" says Noah in his familiar mocking tone.

Before answering him, I attempt to shoot one more time, of course only hitting the backboard. Watching the ball roll to the other end of the court, I turn to face Noah. "Yeah, back when EVOs still existed?" I inquire, totally serious.

He laughs and shakes his head. "You always get touchy when EVOs get brought up."

In annoyance, I groan... but only because he's right. I would never admit this out loud, but I miss EVOs and real fighting. What I do now is amateur stuff. I used to save the day from real danger. EVOs made me useful and gave me a real purpose.

Black Night and the Consortium haven't shown their faces since the World Cure, which was about two years ago. Van Kleiss and The Pack still haven't returned from wherever Breach took them, although we all suspect he's planning something.

Providence has been reduced to just its main headquarters. EVOs no longer exist, but the research of nanites needs to be continued in case they turn people into monsters again. Caesar, my brother, broke off from Providence with the other surviving scientists of the Nanite Project to invent more catastrophes, not that anyone cares. So, Holiday is now the lead scientist again and Six is still my nanny. Even if I'm technically a legal adult, he still acts like a nanny.

Holiday and Six are officially dating. She expected me to be devastated but I think I handled it pretty well. I remember that conversation so well... even if it happened a year ago.

~ Flashback ~

"Rex?" says a very familiar voice, followed by a hesitant knock.

"Uh, yeah Doc?" I say, totally engrossed in my TV screen. A foe hits my character in the arm and my health drops. Cursing silently, I pause the game and turn to face Holiday.

She looks around nervously. "Well, I just wanted to ask you something."

I raise an eyebrow. "Is this gonna be like one of those talks?"

"No, no!" Holiday blushes. "It's just... Me and Six want to get into a relationship and I don't know how it would affect you."

The situation was just too ridiculous. I burst into laughter and sink further into the white couch. "Sure, Doc! Of course you have to ask Rex if you want to date Six! Run along now!" My eyes began to water at the ridicule.

Her face gets hotter, if that's possible. "Good. I really didn't want this to be a problem," she says with a forced calm. Before staggering out of my room, she gives me a grateful smile. What the heck?