Chapter 5: Druidae (Edited)

Canine Shifters ^^^
As we drove into the forest I could feel something coming up. I wasn't sure what it was just that it was there, we drove until there was no longer pavement or gravel under our tires, just dirt and under growth. When I see a wall of three trees it seemed as if they were shimmering, like their image was coming in and out of focus.

I screamed when David headed straight for the tree wall, thinking he lost control of the truck, Alex and Sydney screamed with me. As soon as we were about to hit the trees head on something happened, I had expected a crash and a boom as the front of the truck was ruined but what I got was the wall of trees shimmering around the truck until I was left in a hazy daze like state.

That was until I heard the roar of laughter coming from the front of the truck, I glare at them as they still continue to laugh. "That was not funny! I thought I was going to die!" Sydney exclaimed getting tears in her eyes "Without my phone that is the worst way I could possibly go!" And it's gone that sympathy I felt disappeared as fast as those tears that were in her eyes did.

That's when I heard it though the clacking of what sounded like a carriage going over a non-paved road. I look over at Alex noticing he realized it before I did, I look around and see were in a carriage type thing. "David what happened to the truck?!" He asks just as confused as I am.

"Did you really think I would let that gas releaser in this realm! Please we're not poisoning our realm as the humans have and plus the fairies would not have let us through the portal if we actually tried to use that thing here." He explained and I nodded still wide-eyed from that portal experience.

We come up to a gate where guards stop the carriage "State your name, business, and creature." The guard said firmly, with a don't you dare lie to me face on.

"My name is David Birch and my wife Debra and I are taking our adoptive children to the academy, they got invitations and I am a Snow Leopard and my mate is a Cheetah. Children have no idea because we had no knowledge of their heritage and didn't know they were shifters until recently." After David is finished talking the guard nods and then brings his wrist up to his mouth and says something into what I'm guessing is a microphone, so that the gates open.

"Have fun at the academy!" The guard says waving.

"What are mates?!" Sydney asks suddenly interested, I think I have the general idea in my head, soul mates that's what a mate is.

"Well a mate is your other half, the goddesses split all our souls in half giving one half to our mate and then gives us half of theirs, when you meet your mate your soul becomes complete as you're close to your other half. So in general terms a mate is your soul mate, you only get one unless you get twin mates, but those are rare." After Debra is finished speaking, we all sit and think in awe of having a soul mate.

As we see the gate fade behind us a large village slowly comes up and as we drive up the street it's heavily populated. It's filled with pet stores, potion stores, flower stores, candy shops, pubs, a club here and there, even a few restaurants.

After the village, I'm guessing is Druidae fades to the background, I become all to aware of the large castle at the top of this gigantic hill. As we slowly tread up to it, I see the academy sign on it and think that this must be 'Shifter Academy'. I could see other people slowly coming up the hill behind and in front of us, I'm guessing this is the time where new comers get ready for the ceremony and hope you get to be a shifter you'll like.

As we come to a stop and take all our stuff and put it in the Birch section as all newcomers have a section for their family we await our fate as Debra and David go take their seats in the crowd. We are told to walk in front of a stage and so we do, following orders like a good soldier.

A man that looks far younger than I am convinced is his actual age "Hello, ladies and gentlemen. I am headmaster Higgins and I will be supervising today's shifter ceremony where we shall see who will become common, rare, or unique. But know this not one single shifter is better than the one that chooses you as it is best suited for you and the goddesses themselves have chosen it for you.

Let us hope that many of you will find mates as we surely wish that absolutely all of our students deserve to have the gift of having a completed soul that acts as a life-line to you. Now shall I remind you we understand the mating process and the need for it all we ask is we do not get any baby shifters out of it in the process. Now some words from our very own Professor Oaken" As he concluded his speech a new man took his place looking even younger than the headmaster.

"I am Professor Oaken as most of you have already guessed that. I teach history, but I have also dabbled with the potions class until Madame Haze relieved me of that position. I am the person who created the golden gel-like substance that makes the shift painless and quick, as back in my day it was long, hard, and painful. It is something I do not wish on any of you, though it made me stronger in some areas it also affected others. Now let's begin" With that the first kid in the line stepped forward and got the golden gel put all over their face in strategic lines and then something beautiful happened in a burst of golden light.