Chapter 50

In the Bullpen

Maura: Hi, how many students had office hours with Rhonda at her home?

Korsak: Just about to head over to B.C.U. to get a list of everybody we can ask.

Maura: Okay. We need to find out how many of them own dogs.

Frost walks in.

Frost: Hey, I've been going through all of Mark Cabot's business dealings customers, vendors, clients. So far, no one stands out.

Frost: What's the matter?

Maura: Oh, I was hoping you had something. No hits on the bullet Jane recovered from Mark Cabot's body.

Korsak: Well, don't get discouraged. I've solved a lot of cases without ballistics.

Maura: What else you got?

Frost: Nothing. Except they don't make bigger douche bags than Mark Cabot.

Maura: What about the other gym members with the gun licenses?

Frost: 49 gym members have guns.

Korsak: That's a hell of a lot of guns.
We should check 'em all.

Frost: The dean of the sociology department has that list prepared.

Korsak: I've got all of Rhonda's files here. Let's close this sucker and get you off to canoodle.

Maura gets out her phone and calls Jane.

Korsak: Who are you calling?

Maura: Jane. I want to ask her what she wants for dinner tonight.

Phone Convo-On Speaker

Jane: Hey, Maura. What do you need?

Maura: Hey, what do you want for dinner tonight?

Jane: You called to ask me that?

Maura: Yes, I did. We have no food at the house.

Casey walks in with Elsie. She barks.

Maura: Who's barking?

Jane: Elsie.

Casey: Hey, Jane.

Jane: Hey, Casey.
Maura: Hey, Casey.

Casey: Hey, Maura.

Jane: What are you doing here?

Casey: I came to see your mother.

Jane: Okay. We need to continue with the case. Can Maura and I talk to you this weekend?

Casey: Sure.

Jane: Thanks.

He walks out and Maura tells Jane they will figure out dinner later. They hang up.

Maura: What did you get at B.C.U.?

Korsak: I spoke to the dean. Professor Rhonda Clark had a stellar reputation.
I brought her files and her personal belongings from her office.

Maura: Wow! Is that Rhonda?

Korsak: Yeah. Hard to believe, huh? What do we blame the weed or the crunchy snacks?

Maura: Any of her students stand out?

Korsak: Yeah, this one. Peter Kaufman.
He was actually Rick's student, but it was up to Rhonda to decide whether to let Peter into their PHD program.

Maura: And?

Korsak: And according to the dean, Rhonda washed him out. Peter didn't take it well. She recorded his final oral presentation.