Chapter 69

Back at BPD

Korsak: Any luck?

Maura: It would help if teachers in Massachusetts had fingerprints on file.

Korsak: I'll hop in my time machine and go back and let the Union know your preference.

Maura: W-without a name, I'm having to call up individual schools. And I'm making a list of absent teachers. And I'm pulling up footage from schools nearby to see if she wandered out of one of them. (groans) It's gonna take a while to finish it all.

Korsak: I get it. Fingerprints on file would be a lot easier. How's it coming with the music for the funeral?

Maura: Oh, I've eliminated many, many choices.

Korsak: So nowhere.

Maura: (chuckling) Basically.

Korsak: Hmm.
[chuckles]

Jane walks in.

Jane: I'm headed home.

Maura: How are you holding up?

Jane: (sighs) I'm tired.

Maura: Well, the development of the placenta is one of the most energetically intense parts of the first trimester that could be the reason.

Jane: Or it could be that one of my best friends just died.

Maura: Yes. That could be it, too. I saw him on the street today.

Jane: I'm sorry?

Maura: I mean, I didn't. (stammers) I thought I saw him on the street today.

Jane: That's called an anomalous experience. It's-it's perfectly normal.
As is crying.

Maura: How do you know I haven't cried yet?

Jane: Because you would have said, "I had a good cry and it didn't help," or something like that.

Maura: How are you doing?

Jane: I think I've moved through denial and anger. I'm ready to move into bargaining and I'll have a good cry when I get to depression.

Maura: Can't plan a cry, Jane.

Jane: I'm not planning it. I'm just narrowing down the window of its arrival. And it occurred to me today that that we need to talk about our last wishes.

Maura: No, we don't.

Jane: I want to be buried at sea.

Maura: No. I hate boats. And I'd have to go to city hall and get all kinds of permits and no, just pick something more landlocked.

Jane: Maura, I want to return to the primordial soup that spawned us all.
But nothing fancy a small group of friends and family, a cello.

Maura: We're on a boat, Jane. And a cello is officially fancy.

Jane: Well, there would only be one.
And it should play Bach's suite in "G" major. And then everyone can toast me with a nice bottle of champagne before you throw me overboard. So, what do you want?

Maura: I want to die one day before you so I don't have to go out on a boat.

(elevator bell dings)

Jane: I'll see you tomorrow.

They chuckle. Jane goes home.

At Home

Jane: Hey, Ma. What are you doing here?

Angela: Making dinner.

Jane: I really appreciate it, but, uh, I'm not that hungry.

Angela: Then you'll eat just a little bit.

Jane: I just want to go to bed, Ma.

Angela: You got to eat, Jane. Even if you're sad. Come on.

At BPD

Korsak walks into the bullpen.

Korsak: Why are you still here?

Maura: For Jane. Yeah, I figured the more progress we make, the less she'll have to worry about the case. What about you?

Korsak: Same thing.

Maura: Come on! Please?

Korsak: Okay, well, t-the next time you ask me for a favor I'll probably help you out because I'm a decent guy. But I will not be nice about it!

Maura: What's going on? Well, we didn't get anywhere with the local teachers' unions. And then it dawns on me. Maybe our woman doesn't work in the public school. So I called a bunch of private schools near Indian restaurants.

Maura: You know who she is?

Korsak: Lily Greene. Uh, she teaches at Red Tree preschool. I just have to find a judge to sign a search warrant. Maura, go home. I've got this. Go home to Jane.

Maura: Thanks, Korsak.

She goes down to the morgue to get a few things for Jane.

Leaving the Morgue

Todd: Good night, Detective Isles.

Maura: Have a good shift, Todd.

Todd: Oh, you have a nice evening, too.
Uh, Detective Isles? I-I heard about your friend. I'm sorry. I know the two of you were close.

Maura: Thank you, Todd.