Chapter 27

The Next Morning

Frost and Korsak walk into the bullpen and see Maura. They sit down at there desks. Maura gets up, walks to Korsaks' desk and drops the missing persons file on it.

Maura: Hoyt's not involved, Korsak?
Hoyt said, "A young eagle had lost its family." "Lost." That's why we couldn't find anything. So I finally went to missing persons.

Korsak: And found a missing family of four from the fall of '05. Oh, my God, Maura. The Wilson family-Father, mother, two daughters.

Maura: Mm-hmm. And a son. Family dropped him off at college and were never heard from again.

Frost: This is friggin' tragic. Son was the only suspect in their disappearance.

Korsak: About to start his first semester at Boston College.

Maura: Yeah, the same college where our victim, Graham Randall, was headed to this fall. I want to go back and talk to Hoyt.

Korsak: Cavanaugh gave us our marching orders Work on Graham, stay away from Hoyt. We need more.

Maura: Okay. Dr.Wilson was a Professor at the Emory School of Medicine, same medical school that Hoyt went to.

Frost: That's another connection to Hoyt.

Korsak: Do we even know that Hoyt was in Boston in '05?

Maura: Frost, check with the B.C. Campus Police. See if Hoyt had any connection to that college in 2005.

Korsak: The thing is, it's all speculation unless we can link those teeth to the Wilsons' DNA.

Maura: Yeah, well, we find the son, we compare his DNA. Can you find a driver's license for Jacob Wilson?

Frost: Yeah. That was easy. He still lives in Boston.

Korsak: A cheek swab from Jacob will tell us whether the teeth that Graham smuggled out of jail belong to the Wilsons.

Maura: Yeah, and if they do, then both these cases got "Hoyt" written all over them.

With Jacob

Jane's swabbing his cheek.

Jane: I'm sorry. Thank you.

Jacob: It's okay. I'm used to being interrogated by the police. First time you wanted my DNA, though. Why now?

Maura: We, uh, have found some new evidence that could help us solve this case.

Jacob: What evidence?

Maura: We can't say. This is your family?

Jacob: "Yeah. This is the last time I saw them. My new roommate took that picture." He shows them.

Maura takes it.

Maura: The youngest girl is in a white velvet headband. Hoyt said that he loved the feel of white velvet. How fast can you check the DNA?

Jane: I'll push it right through.

Jane walks out.

Jacob: I thought about lying, saying I had something to do with the disappearance, just to get you guys to look for them.

Maura: We know you didn't have anything to do with this.

Jacob: You do?

Maura: We need you to tell us about the last day you saw your family.

Jacob: Um I, uh-- was about to start college.

Maura: Talk us through that day, everything you can remember.

Jacob: We went to the family pancake breakfast, then a campus blood drive.
My dad was big on donating blood.
Then they took me back to my dorm room. And they said goodbye.

Maura: Do the Westgate Woods near the B.C. campus mean anything to you?

Jacob: Yeah. My mom and dad met there. They both went to B.C.

Frost knocks on the door.

Frost: Got something.

Maura: Excuse me.

Frost: Hoyt was in Boston in '05. B.C. Police went through their security log.
Hoyt was working as a phlebotomist for a mobile blood drive.

Maura: "Nice work, Frost. Jacob, Does this man look familiar to you?" She shows him Hoyt.

Jacob: Maybe. I don't know.

Korsak: Dig into your memory. Anything unusual happen at that blood drive?

Jacob: The only thing that seemed weird was my dad talked to the guy who drew his blood for a while.

Maura: Did he say what they talked about?

Jacob: The guy was one of his students.

Maura: Could this be the man that your father recognized as a student that he taught in medical school?

Jacob: Maybe. Yeah. My dad was surprised the guy ended up in a dead-end job.

Maura: Okay. Thank you, Jacob.

Jacob: Please I know they're dead. Did he do it? I just can't take not knowing anymore.

Maura: I won't stop looking for them until we find them. Okay?

Jacob: Okay.