Chapter 92

In the Bullpen Looking at Evidence Board

Korsak: So, Bob and his partner steal from Bob's survivalist clients. We know what Bob's role was. He built the secret entrances. But who is the partner? Another survivalist, you think?

Maura: Would explain how they knew each other. Maybe the partner hired Bob to build his shelter.

Korsak: They get to talking about all Bob's other clients, what easy targets they'd be. Can we track down who has these bunkers?

Maura: Bob dodged a lot of permit regulations, so the bunkers were probably off the record.

Korsak: What about theft reports for any of the stolen goods over at Bob's house?

Frost: I checked the NCIC. There wasn't much. Then again, you don't file a report if you don't want people to know what you've been stockpiling in the first place.

Korsak: No, we got to find the people he robbed, work backwards to connect them to the partner.

Frost: Well, I have a few names. There was a woman who reported diamond theft who lives in the area.

Korsak: Let's talk to her. What about clients from Bob's firm?

Frost: I got the list.

Korsak: Well, start running background checks, see if anybody sticks out.

Frost: Mm.

Interrogation Room w/a Woman

Woman: Do you know who took our diamonds?

Korsak: We were hoping to speak to your husband, too.

Woman: Lewis would never set foot in a police station. No offense.

Korsak: You reported $20,000 worth of diamonds stolen.

Woman: Six months ago. We haven't heard anything since.

Korsak: (gets out a photo) Do you recognize this man?

Woman: No.

Maura: This isn't the guy who built your bug-out?

Woman: (scoffs) No. Lewis built it himself.

Korsak: How about this guy?

Woman: (sighs) I don't think so.
Do you have a lead or not? Because I really need to get home.

Maura: Okay, wait, wait. One more question. Um, uh, why diamonds? It wasn't to make you a necklace, was it?

Woman: (scoffs) Not even a pair of earrings. (sighs) Lewis said the diamonds were an investment. First, he wanted to buy fuel. I told him I'm not spending my retirement money on propane tanks.

Korsak: Who knew about the diamonds besides you and Lewis?

Woman: The gem dealer. He's based in Brazil. The guy who referred us to the dealer, my mom.

Maura: The guy who referred you You remember his name?

Woman: Um..Oh, I have his card.

Maura: Scott Hines

Korsak: Peter's friend. The one who called the cops.

Maura: Yeah, no wonder he was so broken up about his poor friend.

At Scott's House

Man: Police! Go, go, go!

(Indistinct shouting)

They go into a room. It's empty.

Officer: Clear!

Maura: Don't say it.

Frost: Looks like he bugged out.

Maura walks out.