Chapter 25

In the Cafe

They walk in and Angela walks up.

Angela: You weren't even gonna tell me?

Maura: About what?

Angela: About Hoyt!

Jane: Well, hello ma.

Angela: I heard what happened to you Maura. Plus, it's all over headquarters.

Jane: We'll here's something bigger to think about so you don't have time to gossip.

Angela: What?

Jane: Like I know you're throwing me a surprise party.

Angela: No, I'm not.

Jane: I want a "My Pretty Pony" party.

Maura: "My Pretty Pony"? So, you're turning 9 again?

Jane: (whispers to Maura) They've been discontinued. She'll drive all over town looking for pony party supplies.

Maura: Okay.

In the Bullpen-Watching Hoyt Vid

Hoyt: Do you remember where you were in the fall of '05?

Maura: He says something about eagles like right here.

Hoyt: A young eagle lost its family of four. Did you know that eagles don't drink water?

Maura: Why eagles?

Korsak: Why are you doing that now?

Cavanaugh walks in.

Cavanaugh: Yeah, that's a good question. I just got off the phone with Warden Price.

Korsak: Sean, you know he's posturing because he's gonna run for office.

Cavanaugh: Yeah, yeah, he's an asshole. But he had a point. Isles, you're supposed to be solving an inmate's murder, not listening to some crackpot serial killer-with all due respect for what you went through.

Maura: I'm sorry. I have been working the case.

Cavanaugh: Yeah? Which case?

Maura: If you cared about anything, lieutenant you would let me work both.

Frost walks in.

Frost: Graham Randall's mother is here.

Cavanaugh: How about you tell me who killed that kid, Isles. Hmm?

Maura: You know what?! You're just like Price! If you cared about me or anything, you'd let me work both cases!I know Hoyt's involved! And I know I can prove it! But, I guess you don't see it that way!

Her phone vibrates. She walks out leaving everyone standing there shocked.