Chapter 20

In The Bullpen

Frost is at his desk when Jane walks up. She walks to Maura's desk and sets down a bear with a boot on its left foot like Maura.

Frost: Aww. What a nice fiancé.

Jane: Shut up. It's cute.

Frost sees something pop up on his computer.

Frost: Oh, okay. This looks promising.

Jane: What?

Frost: A possible car for the hit and run. A 2007 navy Blue Chevy Impala registered to Edes High School. He stands up. (sighs) Crap. I don't have a car.

Jane: Mm? Oh, I got a car you can use. (she holds up Maura's car keys) Come on. I'll go with you.

Frost: Alright. Thanks.

At the High School

They go to the school and to the cars that belong to them. They take off the tarp.

Jane: I'll be damned. The Drivers Ed car.

Frost: Can you see anything?

Jane: The hoods dented. But a lot of bad drivers have had a crack at this poor car.

(school bell rings)

Frost: Keys are in the ignition. (He opens the door and gets in) There's a blue thread caught in the shifter.

Jane: Bag it.

(he bags it)

Frost: Okay, I'm gonna release the emergency break and roll it. (he does) He puts it in park and puts the emergency break on. (He gets out) Seeing anything?

Jane: Yeah. Bumper's dinged, and I do believe this is blood.

Frost walks up to her.

Frost: So, maybe we're looking for some kid who was fooling around in the drivers ed car.

Jane: And ran over his teacher.

At BPD

Korsak and Frost are at the evidence board hanging up pictures, when Jane walks up.

Jane: CSRU started processing the car. They've already counted 170 separate prints.

Korsak: We'll never be able to tie that car to one driver. How many students learned to drive in it?

Frost: A lot. It's 16 years old.

Jane: Maura's ankle is very swollen. I made her lie down in my office. Don't tell her I told you that. She also said she's gonna kill me later for taking her keys.

Korsak: Told us what?

Jane: The turquoise string that you found in the shifter is embroidery thread. It's commonly used to make friendship bracelets.

Korsak: Friendship bracelets? So, whoever was driving was probably a teenager. How do we track that thread?

Jane: Something did come up in the victims tox screen (she hands Korsak the results) Viagra.

Frost: Who takes Viagra before a jog?

Jane: And his wife just had a c-section. Can't imagine why he'd need a greater blood flow to his penis.

Korsak: I am sure you're right. Didn't take it for the wife.

Jane: And the crime lab traced the key that we found in his pocket. It's from a high security padlock.

Frost: Our hero teacher suddenly feels a lot less heroic. So, he pops a viagra, tells his wife he's going jogging and then heads to the high school in the middle of the night?

Korsak: I don't think he was going there to tutor budding female science students.

Frost: What's this padlock key to? We gotta tell Maura. But, she'll want to go to the high school herself.

Korsak: Well, maybe Dr. Rizzoli, her fiance can go with her. You're the only one she'll listen to. And, if she passes out from the pain, at least you'll know exactly what to do.

They walk away.