Chapter 63

In the Bullpen

Korsak: Caitlin McCarthy. She had a record as a teen, but it's sealed. Some drug problems later, worked as a stripper.

Maura: Hmm, it's the all-american girl.
Susan was right to want to keep her away from Brian.

Korsak: A mother's instinct is a powerful thing.

Maura: Yeah, but their alibi still holds.

Korsak: You also got to see this.

They walk toward BRIC.

Korsak: Ray said he and Caitlin got stuck in traffic for hours because of an overturned big rig.

Maura: He's lying.

Korsak: No, it was a huge mess. But Ray drives a big-ass pickup truck from the '90s. Even if he started out with a completely full tank of gas, with all that idling with a trip like that he'd need gas. So I checked the times of his ezpass stops. Now, there were two pings at Sturbridge.

Maura: He got off the pike.

Korsak: There's a Chevron at the Sturbridge exit. We got the security tapes from last night. Show them.

A tech guy does.

Korsak: Okay, freeze that.

Maura: Ray's truck? Where's Caitlin?

Korsak: Fast-forward. Freeze. I checked the time code on the gas-station security tapes with Ray's cellphone records. That phone he's talking on right there - it's Caitlin's.

Maura: Ray took Caitlin's phone with him.

Korsak: He made calls on it to establish cellphone-tower pings as an alibi.

Maura: So, Caitlin doesn't have an alibi because she stayed in Boston and killed Susan. Nice work.