Now

Now

The early morning sun shone brightly over the lavender fields, making the dew drops sparkle beautifully. A slight mist still hung over the land but that would soon come to past. High above the sky was a light blue, the last streaks of sunrise disappearing in the distance. Looking over his shoulder back towards the small home sitting at the bottom of the hill the man frowned sadly. He could see the three women standing together just outside the house. In the distance, driving up the dirt road towards the house, was a car that was coming for him.

"You've stopped talking," Cosette Bellamy said, raising her face up towards his. Sherlock Holmes lowered his eyes towards her before replying.

"Sorry. What was I saying, again?"

Cosette giggled softly, looking down at the ground as the pair continued to walk through the lavender field that continued to stretch over and beyond the hill. Sherlock inhaled deeply, taking in the pleasant smell that surrounded him.

"You were informing me about ze strings your brother was able to pull in regards to ze incident," Cosette replied in French, her hand tightening slightly around Sherlock's arm. Sherlock nodded, remembering what he had been talking about.

Cosette had left the hospital two weeks ago only to end up in a court room to find out what futures the men who had tried to kill her would have. Thanks to Mycroft's help Sherlock and Teddy didn't have to take the stand. The trial for the three men also went by quite quickly, all three of them getting a hefty sentence. As for Dorian, he had another thirty years added onto the twenty he had received the first time he had tried to kill Cosette. By the time he would get out, he would be close to death. Cosette would live the rest of her life in peace.

During those two weeks Sherlock had stayed by Cosette's side, only leaving it whenever she would go to court. During those times, though, Margot and Gaia would be right beside her so he knew she would be safe. In the back of his mind he knew he was being stupid, mollycoddling her so, but he couldn't leave her. Every time he did his heart would race and his breathing would quicken and he would begin to panic, thinking the worst would happen if he was not by her side. Although he received curious stares from the three woman who watched the pair they did not say a word and neither did he. Cosette didn't seem to mind, either. It was as though Sherlock was made to be by her side.

While Sherlock had spent those two weeks sticking by Cosette, Teddy had been busying herself with finding out when and where the group they had been hunting would resurface. Phone calls with Mycroft had been frequent- as had updates on the friends they had left behind in London- and soon enough Teddy found information that the group would resurface in a few short days in Paris. With that knowledge Teddy had passed it onto Mycroft who had arranged a car to come pick the siblings up from Gaia's farm and take them to Paris so they would have an extra day just in case.

When Sherlock had found out he hadn't been surprised but there was no denying the sadness that had crept into his voice when he had been told. He didn't want to leave.
The day had come, though, so Cosette and Sherlock were making the most of the few short minutes they had left together before he was to leave.

"Sherlock?"

"Yes, Cosette?"

"You've stopped talking again," Cosette said. Sherlock smiled slightly, looking down at the woman who walked by his side, arm in arm. "Ees something wrong?"

"You could say that," Sherlock murmured, looking back down the hill. The car had pulled up in front of the three women now, and in that moment Sherlock had an overwhelming feeling that he couldn't help voicing.