Now

Author Note: Long chapter, my lovelies, but a good, action-y one. Warning, though. There is abuse in this chapter that may be triggering for some.

Now

In the distance the lights of Montargis made the town look like a small boat floating on a sea of darkness. High above the siblings a dusting of stars twinkled brightly. The street was bare and every house had their curtains closed. Outside on the street the world was a dark and remote place.

"Sherlock," Teddy finally said, her voice piercing the blanket of silence that had fallen over them. The older man didn't reply.

"Sherlock, are... are you all right?"

"Perfectly fine," he replied, but Teddy was not stupid. She knew leaving Cosette had been hard for him. She frowned, looking down at her feet before replying.

"Look, I... I'm sorry for being so bossy before. And for... for bringing up that thing. I shouldn't have done that, that was a low blow. I know you just wanted to look out for her, especially on this particular night. It's just... well, we're so close, Sherly. I just want this madness to end."

"I understand," Sherlock murmured, and Teddy was glad to hear the sincerity in his voice. "I was the one who asked you to help me. I was the one who told you to drop your life for the sake of mine. It's only natural that you want this to be over so you can press play on your life again. Believe me, I want that too, Teddy. It would be nice to see them all again. I... I do miss them."

"Molly's beautiful laugh and friendliness," Teddy said, making Sherlock grin.

"Mrs Hudson's caring nature and excellent food."

"Lestrade's helpful listening ear and fantastic drinking company," Teddy giggled.

"And John. John is..." Sherlock trailed off and Teddy looked up at her brother, smiling sadly.

"I know," she whispered, placing a comforting hand on his arm briefly before pulling away.

"But, you understand, right? Why I couldn't just leave her..."

"Yeah. Yeah. But... you had to, just like I had to."

The siblings were quiet for a moment as they let Teddy's words sink in. It was true, they both had a duty to rid the world of Moriarty's network. In order for Sherlock to return home- and Teddy- they had to finish them off. Teddy sighed, rubbing her face before speaking.

"If you want we can come back after we take them out, actually have a proper goodbye..."

Teddy trailed off when she saw Sherlock shake his head.

"No, no. I think... I think it's best we not go back." Because if I do, I might not want to leave again.

"O-Okay."

The conversation stalled to a stop as they continued to walk. They were nearing the end of the street when the headlights of a car appeared. Due to the clash of the night with the bright lights it was hard to tell what color the car was but Teddy was certain it was black. At first, the siblings didn't care much about the car. It wasn't until Sherlock had a glimpse at the driver that he frowned, looking over his shoulder as the car drove by. Teddy did the same, following her brother's line of sight before returning it to Sherlock.

"Sherly?" she murmured, her eyebrows furrowed. Sherlock's pace slowed down until suddenly he was standing still, watching the tail lights of the car get smaller and smaller. He felt something stir in his stomach but he couldn't place his finger on what it was. It wasn't until he saw the car turn left down Cosette's street that he realized what that feeling might be.