Chapter 1: New Beginnings

I sat on my new porch, looking out at the vast countryside, and pondering my different thoughts. I just moved from North California to the small country town of Darry, Canada. My father had lost his job at a construction company, and for some reason decided to come all the way to Canada.

I had just recently graduated from high school, and I wasn't sure what I was going to do with my life. Especially now since we moved to this small town, and I didn't even have time to figure things out for myself. I don't know if I ever will.

"Van!" I heard a small voice call me.

I looked behind me, to see my nine-year old sister Rose standing there, and she had a wide smile on her face, "Yes?" I replied.

Rose sat down next to me, and rested her feet on the wooden steps, "Have you seen how beautiful it is here!?" she exclaimed; which caused her blue eyes to twinkle.

"Yea, sure is..." I sighed.

"What's wrong?" Rose asked with concern in her voice, she tucked her brown hair behind her ear, and focused her attention on me, "Aren't you excited?" she added with a questioning look.

"I don't know." I answered plainly, and honestly. I really didn't know what to feel. Everything just happened so quick, and I didn't know how to process everything.

"Van?"

"Yea?" I reply, and turn to face Rose.

Rose put her hand on my shoulder, and gently rubbed it, "It'll get better," she assured me, "I promise..." she added gently.

"How do you know?" I asked with furrowed brows, and curiosity.

"Faith, hope, and patience are the keys to getting better. Just give It a couple of weeks." She gently smiled.

"When did you get so wise?" I chuckled.

Rose shrugged her small shoulders, and smiled up at me, "I was born wise," Rose said cheekily. I laughed, and ruffled her hair.

"Van, Rose, I need you guys to help me unpack!" I heard our Mom call.

"We're coming!" we both said in unison, "You owe me a coke!" we both said again in unison, and we both laugh and entered the house.

"Okay, I want you guys to pick a room, and gather your boxes" My Mom stated. My Mom had brown hair like Rose, blue eyes too, and high cheek bones.

"You're going to have a lot of work." Rose smirked.

I turned to her, and put my hands on my hips, "Why?" I asked curiously.

"Because you have the most boxes." she chuckled.

I nodded my head, and pursed my lips, "That is true," I chuckled.

"Okay, let's go girls!" My mother said cheerily.

-----------------------------

A couple of hours later...

"I'll be back. I'm just going to have a look around." I called to my mother, as I opened the screen door, and walked down the wooden steps of our porch.

It feels so different being here in the country, but, it feels somewhat peaceful. I thought.

I walked down a dirt path, which lead to a large field of tall grass, and next to it was a small lake. I made my way through the field of grass, I sat down near the edge of the water, and gently slid my toes into the cool water.