Chapter 13 (Ethan)

Note: just a very short chapter!

Pain.
Terrible, terrible pain.
That was the only coherent thought in Ethan's head.
Every inch of his chest and half his legs was strapped in white dressing and plaster, but nothing could take away the steady waves of pain that rolled through him.
"How is he doing doc?" he tried to turn his head toward his father's voice, but it hurt too much to move.
"You're lucky, surgery should take care of most of the damage. We were just waiting for you to sign the papers so we can proceed. If you could...right here please..."
There was the sound of pen scratching on paper then,
"Thank you sir. We'll give you a few minutes"
The footsteps faded and there was silence in the room. Ethan let out a small moan, wishing he could be in full anesthesia right now. He felt his father's hand clasp over his own and quited, not wanting to appear weaker then he clearly was.
"Oh Ethan..." Lucian Evendale's voice shook slightly, "I promise to you my son, I will make the one who did this to you pay double the amount of pain and agony you feel. I want you to know that"
He felt his eyes water but as they were swollen shut Lucian wouldn't be able to see his tears. Every ounce of energy in his body was drawn from him as he managed to utter the question which had been somewhere at the back of his mind.
"H-Harrison?"
There was a pause then, "dead. I'm sorry Ethan, but he was already dead when we found you guys."

Harrison. Dead.
Why was it so hard to believe? He himself had almost died. But his insides squirmed thinking of how badly Harrison must have hurt, how horribly he must have died.
Was it his fault?
Was it?
He tried not to think that. How could it be? If anything this was on Badr. Who'd had absolutely no problem with killing the both of them.

"Doc's here kiddo" his father announced, "I'll be right here in the foyer. You won't feel a thing" he squeezed his hand one more time and left.
Ethan barely registered all that. His blood was steadily boiling at the reminder of their attacker. That Cedochi guy was going to pay, and he would pay with blood.