Unique friendship

"Everything IS okay, right?"

I just glance at her... "I- I don't know... Physically, yes... Besides the burns and cuts and scars that will be fine... It- it just-"

"The scars on the outside don't even come close to comparing to the scars on the inside..." She sighs. "It's the same thing I went through when I was kidnapped. All the scars left behind were no big deal, but the scars on the inside took forever to heal. You have so many people who care for you and want to help, but you have to tell us what you are feeling, otherwise, we cannot help."

I sigh, laying down and feeling very tired suddenly. "I wish everything could go back to normal..." My voice trails off as I fall asleep.

Rachel leaves the room to talk to everyone else. She wheels herself out there.

"How is she? Did she talk to you?"

Rachel nods. "She's hurting... She's hurting horribly. And it's hard enough for her to go through this at her age, but without her mother... And I can't do much to help except be there. Physically, she's doing fine. But she will be scared for life..."

Jenny nods, "that's who she is. She doesnt have the same childhood as we all had. She has no idea what it's like to experience... Love. There is no way for her to understand what love is or what it feels like. And when that happens, she loses all purpose in living. Which is why this is going to take a lot of time to overcome."

It almost seems as if a cloud of doom overcomes the whole hospital. Everyone is upset. And the nightmares roll in. No one notices, since they are no longer looking towards me. But, I feel it. And I can't help but cry out in my sleep. It isn't loud, but just noises here or there. I guess Rachel sees me fidgeting, because she stops the conversation and simply points.

Everyone looks and sees. But it isn't Jenny who takes care of it this time. As much as she wants to, she doesn't. No, it is not her who gently shakes my crying body. It's none other than Lily. She just got back from touring a college. When she heard the news, she rushed home.

Her gently touch helps wake me smoothly. I still jump, but I can control my reflexes enough to not go into instant defense mode. I sit up, seeing her there. And I break down crying. I'm not sure if it's because I'm happy or sad. But I can't control it. And I've always been the type of person who, if I cry in front of you, it's a big deal... It makes me feel weak and defenseless. She hugs me and I hug back. Best friends since the fifth grade... Technically sisters. Our friendship is unique.