*Different*

McGee took Lexi and Lily to Abby stay with until Gibbs and Jenny were in a more stable condition. Their injuries weren't too extreme, so they would be expected to be home within the week.

After Abby cleaned up dinner, which was pizza that had been nearly untouched, she made her way gathering bedding for the girls.

"Lexi?" Lily hesitated slightly. "Are you okay?" She knew it was a stupid question, but she wanted her friend to know she was there for her.

Alexis scoffed and shook her head. She pulled out her mother's necklace from her pocket. Then she hoarsely whispered, "I... I don't think I ever will be."

Lily scooted closer to her friend on the couch and put her arms around her. "I'm so sorry..."

~~~~

That night, Alexis couldn't rest. Every time she closed her eyes, she imagined her parents in those chairs. Her father, always the strong one. Always cracking a joke. He would never be there for her graduation, her wedding. And her mother, oh her sweet mother. She seemed so tough to everyone but her baby girl. No, she'd never received any type of anger from her mother, always a gentle hand, always a comforting smile.

Alexis shifted on the sofa, grabbing her mother's necklace off the side table and clutching it in her fist. She didn't try to stop the silent tears. Her parents were gone. She was an orphan.

~~~~~

After 5 days of care, Jenny and Gibbs were discharged from the hospital. Still bruised in some spots, they went home, fixing things up before inviting Abby to bring the girls over.

Lily and Alexis sat on the couch in the sitting room, Jenny and Gibbs on a couch facing them. Jenny explained that Tony and Ziva had made it known to her, and likewise Gibbs, that they were married and had a daughter, but they wished to keep NCIS as far out of her life as possible, for safety reasons. So while they knew Alexis from stories and a distance, they hadn't imposed on the rules set by her parents to keep her away.

"And, Lexi," Jenny said, a lilting tone attempting comfort. "Jethro and I have talked quite a bit, and... You are more than welcome to stay here with us... but if you do want to, we need to do it the right way and apply for guardianship of you. So... you just let us know how you want to handle this."

Alexis glanced at Jenny, then Gibbs, then Lily, who smiled softly. "I... I mean..." Alexis took a breath to slow her racing heart. "I guess I'd rather stay with people my parents trusted... people who loved them..."

Jenny smiled gently. "Then I think we are your people..."

Lexi bit her lip. She glanced down at her wrist, where her mother's charm from her necklace was now attached to her bracelet. Her heart squeezed at the sight of it still. It was on the wrong person...

"Lexi?" Gibbs interrupted.

Lexi's attention jumped back up to meet his gaze.

"Do you have any questions for us?"

Lexi shook her head for a moment before she paused. "Um... so... what do I... call you?"

Jenny smiled a little wider. "Well, our names might be a good place to start."

"So, jenny and... jeth..ro?" The name sounded weird coming out of her mouth.

Gibbs grunted, "Just Gibbs will do."

After another pause, Jenny patted against the couch and stood up, "Well, we can take care of all the legal stuff tomorrow. Let's find which room you want."

Lily smiled, "You could be right across the hall from me."

Lexi attempted a smile, but something stopped her. This shouldn't be like this... she should be home right now, watching a movie with her dad or learning Hebrew from her mother...

This was going to be very Different...

~~~~
~~~~~~
~~~~

Leave a vote and comment ♡
*virtual wave*

Happy reading!
~Abi <3

~~~~~~~~