Chapter 12

*** Author's Note: Chapter now has a complete ending ***

~~~~~~

- Nicole's POV -

Owen asked me to marry him. I loved him but I couldn't marry him. I ran though the jungle with Owen close behind me.

"So much for staying in your bungalow," I said pausing to catch my breath. My heart raced in my chest. It was beating so hard I swore it was about to explode.

"Yeah," Owen said.

"Owen, about the wedding proposal," I began.

"Yeah?" He asked looking at me hopeful.

"I can't," I mumbled. God did I want to tell Owen that I couldn't marry him. No. But what other choices do I have? Justin is waiting for me back home. We've been in a committed relationship for a while now. I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate it if I bought home someone else.

"What do you mean you can't?" Owen asked me. That must have hurt a lot. Owen had pretty much been though hell and back in the past 24 hours and now I just told him I couldn't marry him. I could though, I just. I'll worry about this later.

"Owen, I love you. Don't get me wrong but when have we actually had a first date?" I asked looking up at him. The sadness in his eyes disappeared and I saw a little glimmer of light, which made me feel better.

"The time we had dinner in my bungalow didn't count as a first date?" Owen asked pouting.

"No," I said laughing.

"Fine, when we get back home. I will take you on a proper first date." He stated, giving me a genuine smile.

"Deal," I said and we both shook on it.

"Now, I'm pretty sure there are a few people who would be happy to see you." Owen said smiling.

"Yes! Claire and the others! I'm sure they will be." I exclaimed and Owen and I began the long walk to meet them.

"Though, I'm not sure if they'll be extremely happy to see me. I sorta left them in the middle of the jungle." He said and I laughed.

"Owen Grady. What are we going to do with you?" I shook my head and smiled.

"Feed me to Maggie maybe?" He suggested shrugging.

"I don't think she'll want you." I said and we both laughed.

•••

Owen checked in with Vivian and Lowery to see where Claire and the others were. They were in the Valley. And if I remembered correctly it was a long distance from where we were currently. Now with the jungle over grown it's hard to tell where we are.

"Owen, it's getting late and they could be miles from here. Can we just stop here for the night?" I asked brushing my hair out of my eyes.

"Why? If we keep going we can make if before dawn." Owen said adjusting his gun over his shoulder.

"I would but I just woke up from the dead." I said sarcastically putting air quotes around waking up from the dead.

"Okay," Owen said giving in.

"Thanks," I said giving a slight smile.
Owen and I had a debate about whether or not we should sleep in a tree or on the ground. I ended up winning the debate.

"I just prefer not to be eaten," I said rolling my eyes at Owen.

"I don't see why we have to."

"I'm not going to repeat myself Mr. Grady." I snapped crossing my arms.

"Owen," he grumbled and he began climbing the tree. I followed after and then he took my hand and helped me up. As I looked up my eyes scanned over the treetops as the night sky sparkled with stars.

"You should get some rest." Owen suddenly said, interrupting the silence. I subtly nodded in agreement and Owen wrapped his arm around me as I shifted into a comfortable position to fall asleep in.

•••

I woke up to the sound of a gun shot and I nearly made Owen fall from the tree when I moved.

"What the hell was that?" I inquired as I jumped down and brushed myself off. Owen followed suit and he grabbed his gun and handed me mine.

"It's either Claire and the others or some of Henry's men. Don't let your guard down." He said walking forward with his gun ready to shoot.

I hoped that it would be Claire and the others but just one ounce of me didn't because I knew they were going to freak out when they saw me. Owen told me what happened and I felt terrible but there was nothing I could do about it. I'm sure they'd be surprised when I walk through the bushes and onto their makeshift camp sight .

As I followed Owen, I mentally prepared myself for any questions they'd ask me. When Owen and I came into the clearing he lowered his gun and slung it back over his shoulder.

I saw Claire, Michael, Zach and Grey all standing around arguing over what seemed like something stupid and I laughed lightly.

"Should we just walk in or?" I stood next to Owen and he smiled and took my hand.

"Let's just walk in and join this lovely conversation." He said and so we did.

•••

"Wait- Nicole?! What the hell?!" Claire screeched, her eyes wide. "You're alive?!"

I hugged her and she hugged me back but she was still in shock, just like everyone else.

"How the hell are you still alive?" Michael said looking at me with the most confusing look ever.

"Alright, yes I know I owe you all an explanation. Take a seat." We all sat down together and I began explaining.

"After I said I'd do anything to protect you guys, Vic knocked me out and everything went black but for a brief moment. I regained consciousness back in the room that Owen found me in. Vic was standing against the wall smirking at me. I tried to break free but the I had realized I was cuffed. From there, Vic beat me and I blacked out." Shivers went down my spine that I shivered at the memory.

"We're so glad your not dead!" Gray said and he hugged me.

"Me too." I said as I hugged him back.

The leaves rustled and the wind picked up as it howled through the trees. The sound of a twig snapped and I jumped to my feet and grabbed my gun. Everyone else did too as we suddenly stood tense at our campsite waiting quietly.

A growl came followed by Indy. Her fleshy silver pale scaly coat almost illuminating off the leaves. Her teeth were bared and ready to attack.

~~~~~~

Okayyy so that's now fixed! Had no clue why it did that but oh well!