Chapter 3 - The Admiral

Start from the beginning

The Admiral looked up only this time he had an optical viewer over his eyes. They looked like an old fashioned pair of glasses and were linked to optical implants. His eyes traveled over the four and rested his elbows on his desk and laced his fingers together. The white and glossy scar tissue gave him a rather grim visage. Even if he hadn't had the scars both his disapproval and disgust were showing. When he finally spoke he did not sound at all amused or pleased.

"Cadet Williamson I cannot begin to explain just how your actions and words have stained the honor of this Academy. The unified military is to keep bringing this world together. It is to eliminate the causes of so many of the wars and vile acts done in the name of some tribe, religion, or even bigotry. By your comments you do not understand this concept. I don't know if you are simply mouthing garbage you heard from your parents and friends and I don't care. You have the right to think what you want and that is a right which was specifically written into the documents of the world constitution. What you do not have the right to is verbalize or allow your thoughts and opinions impact on others." His voice remained neutral as he spoke.

"I have reviewed the regulations, talked to my legal office, and taken in account the recommendations of the senior supernaturals on the station. Based on this I have several options. These options are not all inclusive but are the ones which meet the seriousness of this crime." When he noticed the cadet starting to look like he was going to say something the Admiral stopped what he was getting ready to say. "Cadet Williamson do not open your mouth. I am not asking for your thoughts or opinions. If you do choose to open your mouth anything you say will be reviewed and possibly added to the records. As I was saying the first option would be to allow the supernatural laws to supersede the military laws. If I chose this and Cadet Whitewater demanded a challenge it would be allowed to go forward. You not only slurred his family you also indicated that you feel the death of all supernatural's should be allowed and condoned."

"My second option is to have you evaluated by Mental Hygiene to see if personality programming might be needed. I have to admit this is the option I am strongly leaning towards since by your words I have to consider you to be a threat. I firmly believe that you wouldn't just allow your opinions to color your actions towards the cadets. I feel you would allow this to actively let harm come to the cadets or others due to this. As part of this I also have the urge to recommend a Courts Martial as well. You would be tried and if found guilty given a long sentence."

He didn't bother looking at the papers on his desk as he kept speaking. "The last option is to strip you of being a Cadet, have you evaluated by Mental Hygiene, and then send you home. This is the least preferred of my options since I do not think it would address the issue. For now I am going to hold off on making my decision till Mental Hygiene is done with you."

Now he turned and looked at Holcum. "Cadet Whitewater I am not pleased that you laid a hand on another recruit. I understand why but that doesn't change my opinion on this. I am going to have an entry made in your Cadet record. I will not allow this to happen again on my station and my Academy. The only exception to this would be in self defense or to save another recruit. Do not disappoint me. I am going to ask, not command, but ask that you withdraw the challenge you started to make."

If Holcum could stand up any straighter he would. This was much like when the senior supernatural had verbally slapped him down. "Yes sir, I understand sir. It will not happen again." At the Admiral's request that he release the challenge he had to struggle and it was obvious. His eyes started changing as he was having a discussion with his cat. He wasn't changing, just his eyes. He finally spoke. When he did his voice was somewhat guttural. "Sir, I Cadet Holcum Whitewater retract my challenge. I accept your final word on the judgment of how you deal with this situation." That had been very hard to say and forcing it out made his jaw ache.