Nico XXI

Nico felt almost as if a new page in his life had begun.

He finally felt accepted and no longer like the freak. Because they were all freaks.

It was sad, but Nico felt it was the sad truth. Bulky Frank that could change forms, wiry hyperactive Leo who could accidentally set fire to himself. The flying wonder-kid Jason with his sorceress girlfriend Piper, and his own sister Hazel with weird mind-over-metal powers.

Nico could only imagine what their lives would be like if they weren't demigods. If they had no powers or didn't know this world existed. Would any of them be popular? Fit in at school? Hang out at the mall and go to Nandos?

Probably not.

Nico's train of thought ground to a halt and he sat up from his bed sharply.

"Land, ahoy!" Coach Hedge bellowed, his replacement 'club' (aka plank of wood) bashing into the side of the ship.

The sound of heavy Frank feet stumbled past Nico's door, and he took this as an oppertunity. Jumping out of bed (he'd taken an morning nap) and stumbling out the door, Nico flew round the corner and straight into...Jason.

"Oh, hey, Jason. Sorry, I..." Nico mumbled, stepping away abruptly.

"Hey, Nico. Listen, I wanted to talk to you." Jason said.

"Oh! Yeah! Sure!" Nico agreed, afterwards realising he probably sounded way too eager. He lowered his voice and tried to appear cool and collected. "I mean, yeah, dude. Shoot."

"Okay," Jason said, wiping away confusion, "I just wanted to thank you. I mean, for looking after Hazel. We've never really spoken, me and your sister, but I have a feeling that she's in a difficult position."

"And, um," Nico squeaked, coughed, and lowered his voice, "And how exactly do you mean, daddyo?" He mentally facepalmed himself.

"Like, as in her, Frank and Leo."

Nico came up blank, and his face must've shown it.

"Ah. Well, look for it and you'll notice." Jason grinned and arm-punched Nico before pivoting and walking away. Damn, Nico thought. That's some smooth macho son of Zeus.

Then he thought about what his message had said. Some kind of problem between his sister, Leo and Frank. Nico scratched his head and thought about it, but couldn't think of a problem. Oh well, he thought. Getting on some dry land might get rid of this alter-ego failure of a hickey.

Coming out the doors and onto the deck of the Argo II, Nico expected sunlight and bright light to dazzle him- they were on their journey from Italy to Greece afterall, going through the Ionian Sea. But instead, drizzling rain hit his face. The rainwater was warm and felt like a lukewarm shower, but it was unexpected. Steely clouds rolled on as far as the eye could see; equally grey rain dropped like pebbles into the moody, choppy ocean.

"Crap weather." Nico sighed.

"Welcome to Paxos. Off the coast of Zantos." Leo retorted grimly.

"And why exactly are we stopping here?" Spluttered a sopping Piper, her jumper clinging to her bare arms. Skinny jeans looked uncomfortable, the denim soaked.

"We need to stock up on supplies. All the mortar holding the edges of the ionic steel catures, which keep the oil in place-"

"You know what, forget it. We'll just go with the flow." Frank interrupted Leo. He held Hazel's hand and dragged her off the ship with him. The rest of the party followed.

Nico began walking off the plank and onto mainland, when Leo joined him.

"Hey, man." Leo began. Nico looked up at him through curtains of dripping hair, and saw that Leo didn't look so Leo-ish when his hair was all flat and damp.