Chapter seventeen

Start from the beginning

"She's shy, it took forever for her to speak to me when I first met her and she also took forever to talk to Bianca and Jack," He said chuckling while looking at me. I blushed like crazy when he spoke of me like that. One of his friends, Jane, I think, spoke.

"I like your outfit," She said smiling. I looked her and smiled softly. I rubbed my arms and looked at the sky.

"The fireworks are coming in thirty minutes or so," Jasper said. I glanced at him and he smiled. I smiled back at him, for a split second, I thought I saw his face red. Must have been my imagination.

He got up from his seat and I looked at him fearfully. He crouched down, reassurance in his eyes.

"I'll be back soon, I'm just getting a drink, want anything?," He asked and I nodded. I leaned in and he craned his head so that his ear faced my mouth.

"U-Um, could you please buy me a water?," I whispered and he smiled at me and nodded. He walked down the hill to the food stand. As soon as Jasper left, Bianca looked at me and spoke.

"So, what have you been up to?," She asked me. I shrugged my shoulders and smiled.

"Nothing much, I've just been painting," I said. Which it is true, I have been painting to distract myself.

"Really? What do you paint?," She asked and I sat cross-legged.

"I paint just about anything, I find beauty in anything," I said grinning. She giggled and I giggled also.

"That sounds wonderful, I suck at art," She said pouting. I patted her shoulder.

"It's okay, everybody is good at something?," I say and she nodded in agreement. I saw Jasper came back with our drinks.

"I'm back," He announced  and I smiled at him. He plopped down on the blanket and handed me my water. I thanked him and I drank. The water was cool and sweet to my dry throat.

"Thank you," I said and he nodded his head. Suddenly we heard a voice from the speaker.

"Ladies and Gentleman, the waiting is over and we present to you, Fourth of July fireworks," The speaker said. The crowd cheered and I joined them. I saw the American flag, red, white and blue fireworks. Different types of fireworks and they were oh so beautiful.

It went on for twenty minutes and then it finally stopped. The smoke stayed on for awhile and we all got up. Jasper's friends walked down the hill but I stayed sitting for awhile.

"Guys, I'll catch up soon," Jasper called out. Jack yelled back an okay. Jasper turned to me and smiled.

"Well, that was exciting," Jasper said and I nodded my head in agreement.

"Yeah, it was," I said smiling. He looked at me and I felt myself turning red.

"I'm really glad you came," He said and I tucked my hair behind my ear quickly.

"I'm happy that you invited me," I said. He looked at the sky and then looked at me.

"Why wouldn't I? I mean you're an amazing person," He said smiling. I blushed and I glanced at him shyly. I realized we were extremely close that our knees were touching.

"Really?," I asked shyly. He nodded his head.

"Yeah, you are," He whispered and then he leaned over and kissed me. I widened my eyes. Jasper placed his hand on the back of my head. He was kissing me! He was actually kissing me! I felt myself kiss him back. His lips were soft and sweet. My very first kiss.

It was amazing. It was great. It was...wrong. This was wrong. I can't be with him because of what I am. Who I am. I broke off the kiss. I placed my hand on his chest, panting. His eyes were dazed from our kiss. He leaned forward again but I pulled back.

"I'm sorry, I-I can't, I-I have to go," I said as I stood up abruptly. I ran down the hill, thankful that I am able to run fast.

"Anastasia, wait!," He yelled but I ignored him. I kept running. I ran out of the park, dodging a lot of people.

What was I thinking!? Kissing him like that! Well, technically he kissed me but still! I couldn't believe what just happened. It was so unexpected, but also delightful. My very first kiss. It was sweet and gentle.

But also bad! I can't be with him because I'm afraid of getting caught. I can't keep doing this, I can't. But no matter how many times I kept saying that, I can't stay away from the outside world. I just wish I wasn't born like this. I finally made it to the house and opened the door and closed it. I locked it and placed the key back on the table.

I immediately went up the stairs and put on my pajamas. I laid down on my bed and placed my fingers on my lips, smiling. I blushed. The kiss was amazingly wrong. I couldn't stop thinking about it. My thoughts were interrupted when I heard the front door open and close. I heard Nate walk up the stairs and open my door.

"Hey," He said smiling. I sat up and turned to him.

"Hi", I say quickly while blushing. He frowned and walked in.

"Are you okay," He asked in concern. I furrowed my eyebrows in fake confusion.

"Yeah, why?," I asked twiddling my fingers. He placed his hand on my forehead. For some odd reason, I did feel a little funny. But not like butterflies in my stomach funny but more like sick funny. I brushed it off, it must have been from all my running.

"Well because your face is all red and sweaty," He said and I chuckled nervously.

"I'm fine, it is hot in here," I said and he narrowed his eyes, I gulped nervously. He finally stopped looking at me like that and looked at my door.

"Alright, come on, let's go to the backyard," He said and I grinned. We got up from my bed and went down stairs. We went to left from the stairs and there was a door that led to the backyard. Our neighbors always made fireworks. Nate grabbed two chairs and placed it outside. I had to act fake surprised.

I looked down at the grass and touched it. I laughed and placed my body on the ground. I inhaled the fresh air and grinned. I looked up at Nate and he smiled at me and also laughed.

"This is amazing! I didn't know grass was this soft! Do you smell that! That air smells amazing! Can I lay here forever?," I asked and he laughed. Suddenly I saw a flash and realized he took a picture of me laughing.

"What was that for?," I asked and he smiled.

"To remember this as the night that you went out for the very first time," He said and I clapped my hands. I got up and sat down on the chair he brought.

"It's gonna start in five, four, three, two, one," He says and then once he said that. Another fireworks came, this time, more magical. It was more colorful. There was a rainbow, a heart, a star, the American flag, and there was one that said Fourth of July.

I clapped my hands and Nate smiled at me and laughed. It was finally over and I was really sleepy. I yawned and I felt myself doze off. I felt Nate pick me up.

"Nate?," I whispered. He looked down at me and smiled.

"Yeah?," He asked. I smiled softly at him.

"Thanks for everything," I whispered and then I fell asleep.