Are you free?

Today coach came to practice and everyone was surrounding him asking why he was absent and all he did was avoid the questions.

Rylee and I are the last to arrive so as soon as we entered coach started practice.

I was given some strict training and was asked how I did on the last few days when he was absent. We all were exhausted and hungry by the end of the practice so some of the girls decided to hit the snack shop and I tagged along to buy a drink.

There was Zion sitting munching biscuits again so I approached him. "Are you not participating in the tournament tomorrow?" I asked him.

"I am, why?" he seemed startled for some reason. "Just because. You seemed kind of chill haha" I sat on the chair beside him.

"Oh I have something to ask you" he rubbed the back of his neck nervously and continued "Are you free in the evening after practice?" and stared at me waiting to hear my answer.

"I am I guess" I replied, a bit confused.

"Great! Do you want to hang out?" he asked immediately

"Just us?" I asked

"Just us." He replied. My face suddenly felt warm I don't know why. I nodded to agree and stood up to get going because I possibly can't handle anything at that moment. Zion asked me to hang out with him.

I ran towards the girls who were going back to their classrooms, my face was all flushed. I held Rylee's hand and dragged her with me to the field.

"So what did Zion said for you to react this way?" she asked taking a guess by seeing my face.

"He asked me to hang out with him after practice today" I said excitedly

She asked "Just you two?"

"Just us!!" I replied

"What did you say?" she asked with a smile already knowing the answer so I just nodded.

"That's some good news you got there Len!!" she said getting all excited.

Both of us returned to our classrooms giggling about what happened. Soon after that classes started but I couldn't focus at all because I am way to excited to meet Zion in the evening!!

Lunch started, I went to the cafeteria with Namid and the others but couldn't remember what we talked about. I couldn't stop myself from smiling like a fool.

I didn't realise school was already over and I was standing in the practice room until I heard coach calling my name.

"Len... Darlene!" coach shouted loudly.

"Yes, yes coach" I replied.

"Where is your mind at? You've been spacing out since you came to practice." The coach said, he seemed irritated for some reason so I just apologised and he continued speaking "We won't do any harsh training today, everyone go home early and rest up for tomorrow." And again started checking his phone. I just can't figure out what is wrong with coach these days, he's been acting weird ever since the semester started.

One by one everyone started leaving and I felt Rylee pulling me so I followed her out.

"Why are you just there? Let's go to the boys practice room to see how long it's going to take Zion" said Rylee and I again followed her to the other practice room.

We reached the boys practice room in the next minute, they were practicing just like how people train a day before the tournament, I can't figure out a reason why coach is acting weird all of a sudden.

As I was lost in so many thoughts I saw Zion. He was wearing a navy blue coloured gym vest with grey shorts, his hair was tied in a high bun secured with a hairband.

The way he was covering the court was truly spectacle-

"You will burn a hole into him" Rylee scoffed which made me flinch and I asked "What do you mean?"

"What I mean is you're staring too much" Rylee let out a small chuckle

"Shut up" I said and turned my head back towards Zion only to see him staring towards us.

He waved at our direction and told us to wait for a few minutes.

We patiently waited for him, they were done practicing in 15 minutes or so and started to wrap up the court as there will be no practice tomorrow.

By the time we left the practice hall it was already 4:15, Zion changed back into the school uniform, Ron and Yale followed us to the gate and after that Rylee dragged them to somewhere so Zion and I was left alone.

I felt extremely nervous all of a sudden. It's a date- I heard Zion's voice calling my name "Len...Darlene!" I realised he has been calling my name for a while now so I again got nervous and said "Y-yes?"

He took a deep breath and gazed towards the road and said "Do you want to visit the Aquarium?"

"Sure" I said, but why did he looked like the way he did just now? Is he perhaps annoyed? Did I do something wrong?

"Let's go then" he said and started walking

The aquarium was a 10 minutes' walk from school. On our way we stopped by a convenience store to buy some snacks and after that we arrived at the aquarium. He went ahead and bought two tickets.

We entered through the door and there was a hall. It was my first time visiting the aquarium so I was curious what it is like. There was a lady standing in the end of the hall checking everyone's tickets and giving some kind of a ribbon in return. We let her check our ticket and went to the next room.

It was a hall with glasses on all sides. All the fishes can be seen in the water. We stayed there for a few minutes and then continued walking. This time it was like a tunnel made of glass, different kinds of fishes were all over the place. We walked through the corridor watching the fishes and taking their picture when an elderly man walked through us, pushing me to the side which made me lose my balance. I tried to keep my balance but failed. I was about to fall on my face when a hand grabbed me by my stomach and pulled me up.

"Are you okay?" Zion asked, his eyes looking towards the man who pushed me, but his hand is now placed in my waist. My heart started beating fast, I can't believe he's holding me!!

"Y-Yess, I'm okay" I stuttered, and maybe that made him realise where his hands were placed so he immediately pulled his hands back.

--•×•--

Thank you for reading <3

If you like the story do vote for it :)
And share your views on the story ^^

Have a nice day :3

TBC