Ch35 - Burn

Ashe's POV

After giving you a handful of glitter bombs, Killer immediately began to kill the nearby monsters, laughing maniacally as dust and magic filled the air. Since you were both meant to be teamed up, you stayed close by, but he was the only one out of the both of you who was actually killing anybody. Dust and Horror seemed to be slaughtering with ease too, though Nightmare mostly watched and Cross stayed nearby.

It was admittedly a little scary, watching the people you trusted so casually taking the lives of others. They weren't just killing, but enjoying it as well. It seemed that even if your body's previous owner was used to death, had even racked up high LV, you just...couldn't do the same. You wouldn't, couldn't, kill like they could.

You tried not to let your mind wander, but you couldn't help but think about how terrifying it would be if they ever turned on you. But... they wouldn't do that, would they? They bonded with you. They cared for you. Still, you couldn't help that your anxiety was spiking a little.

But you didn't really like seeing people hurting, people dying. Knowing that this was all necessary for the balance did help to lessen the weight of it. You trusted your little family as well - if they thought this was the best way to do things, you would put your faith in them. You just had to get used to it, you supposed.

Killer seemed to notice your change in mood and guided you somewhere a little more private, not that you really noticed until things were quiet. "Ya seem kinda shaken up. You good?" he asked, resting a hand on your shoulder for reassurance. It was a little odd seeing the laid back skeleton look so genuinely concerned.

Spooky piped up. "BROTHER, DO YOU WANT TO GO HOME? WE DON'T HAVE TO BE HERE. WE CAN HELP IN OTHER WAYS, JUST LIKE NIGHTMARE SAID!"

You shook your head. 'I'm sorry. I didn't think it would bother me this much. Last time was different because it wasn't really killing, just fighting, and I...'

"Nah, don't apologise, I get it," Killer hummed. "Are you sure you don't want to go home? I'm sure Criss-Cross can take ya?"

This mission may have made you a little uncertain, but you knew for sure that you wanted to stay. That you wanted to help. 'I want to stay, but I don't think I can kill unless I absolutely have to...'

"'S fine, kiddo. Like we all said before, you don't have to kill. How about we focus on causing some lighter chaos? I bet those glitter bombs I gave you will be handy once the Stars get here," he suggested with a sly grin.

You could handle that. The idea of everybody being covered head-to-toe in glitter was amusing. Thankfully, the moment of comfort Killer brought you was enough to bring back your determination. 'Think you can get Nightmare all glittery too?'

"Pffft, already two steps ahead of ya. He's gonna be bright pink by the end of the mission," he promised confidently. "I'm gonna try and get Dust too since he managed to get me with a prank last night," he declared.

"NYEH HEH HEHHH! I BET WE CAN GLITTER NIGHTMARE BACK AT HOME IF YOU DON'T GET A CHANCE TO!" Spooky grinned, clearly sharing your interest in making everybody sparkle. You snickered at the plan.

'How about we make a bet on who will glitter the most people?' You suggested.

"Oh, you're on, Ashe!" He declared. 'I'm so gonna glitter more people than you! Just you wait n' see!"

You snickered. He didn't know it, but you were absolutely going to find a way to glitter bomb him later, even if it meant glitter bombing yourself. After all, if he was going to help make everybody sparkly, then he was going to have to deal with some sparkles of his own! Just... not yet, it'd spoil the surprise for everybody else.

"Damn, those stars are taking their time. We gotta ramp up the chaos," Killer let out suddenly. He was right - the group had been in the timeline for at least fifteen minutes, and the star sanses still hadn't arrived.

'I have an idea,' you signed. Killing wasn't comfortable for you, but chaos... Well, a little fire could certainly cause a lot of chaos without necessarily leaving casualties. And if somebody burned to death, you had plausible deniability! ...Sort of!

"What kinda idea?" the tarry-faced skeleton mused as you crouched down, your hands buzzing with magic. He was watching with an expression of curiosity and interest, twirling a summoned red blade in his hands. Though his attention was on you, he was still keeping aware of your surroundings, ensuring neither of you would be caught off guard.

You couldn't multitask signing with what you were doing, so you decided to just do it - he would see soon enough, if it worked. You carefully sparked your magic right by one of the wooden houses nearby, hot and buzzing, and you grinned. Quickly, a spark became a flame, and a flame became a raging fire, the house set alight within an instant.

Despite the cold, the flames moved quickly, spreading to each of the nearby houses and polluting the skies with thick grey smoke. 'Turns out the houses here are awfully flammable,' you signed with a mischievous grin. 'That chaotic enough?'

Killer snorted. "Didn't take ya for an arsonist," he let out, gently patting your skull. Distantly, you realised the wound didn't really hurt anymore and were thankful for that. 

'Should've brought marshmallows,' you joked, earning a laugh of clear approval.

"You're a fucking riot," Killer snorted. "If you keep burning stuff, I'll watch your back, yeah?" 

You nodded, already moving to the next set of houses, giggling the entire way. Turns out burning this was a hell of a lot more fun than you would ever have expected. Like before, the houses lit up in an instant, only this time, a sudden shouting immediately caused you to turn around.

"Stars above, you've resorted to burning things now!?" the yellow-themed skeleton shouted, expression a mix of emotions.

Ink was the next to speak. "Stop what you're doing! You WON'T damage this timeline any further!!"

It seemed the stars had finally arrived, just in time to witness another house suddenly engulf in intense fire.