•47•

"Alright mom this is going to be a little cold." The doctor says as she rubbed the gel on your lower abdomen, "are you both first time parents?" The doctor asked as Michel stood beside you looking at the monitor. "Yeah," you say a bright smile on your face as the doctor began to slide the wand across your stomach, "alright, well right now the fetus seems pretty healthy, have you been staying light on your feet, eating a balanced diet, and staying away from stress?" She asked the wand gliding as she searched for the fetus.

"Yes to most of those," you say, "any cramping, blood spots, or unusual discharge?" You shook your head letting out a soft 'no' alright that's good mom, Michel looked extremely focused on the monitor, "Michel, you do know there isn't much to expect right now right?" You laugh softly as the slightly older man's face of concentration relaxed and he turned to you "hm? Oh I know I'm just a little excited, ya know." He chuckled "also nervous." He added wiping his sweaty palms on his pants,  "that happens a lot with first time dads." The doc chuckled before she smiled "there's your baby." She says pointing at the screen, it was a small ball, Michel let out a breathy laugh as he say it, "wow," was all he could say, you stared at the screen in awe, it was now weighing heavy on you that this would be a huge life changer, you looked up at Michel who was still staring at the screen, was this a life change you were ready to make?

"you two will hear a a heart beat." The doctor smiled. "Right now if I turn the sound on," she turned the sound of the machine on the sound of pulsing could be heard, "come back again in a few weeks for another check up the baby should be a little more formed by then, but as of today you guys are three are free to go." She was a cheerful woman you could tell, she had to have been great with kids, the ring finger occupied by a diamond told you she was married, she didn't have to drop her career due to family. Your family dynamic was different, a lesbian mother raising a child in France with the help of the father who lived in the states. One stupid nights mistake left you with eighteen years of responsibility that right now you weren't sure you were able to take on.

Looking at Michels face as he pointed at the screen speaking with the doctor, their voices background noises now, he wanted to be a father, and you knew he'd support you if you decided to change your mind on going through with the pregnancy, it wasn't too late yet but did you want to do that? You were afraid of the changes your body would go through, but you didn't want to live in the what ifs, l"what if I don't keep the baby? What would I be doing now if I did keep the baby? What would their favorite color be? Favorite food? Likes and dislikes?" You knew these things wouldn't have been stuck in your head in the future if you did opt out, yet, You didn't get long with your mother, she never got to see you go to prom, graduate highschool, graduate college, yet you never had a bad memory with her. in truth you wanted to be the mother to someone the way your mother was to you before she passed and you wanted to be ten times the parent your father was.

"Hey, you okay?" Michel asked bringing you out of your thoughts, you smiled softly and nodded "yeah just a little hungry." You admit making the older man laugh softly, "well then let's get you something to eat," he says as you got off the examination bed and wiped the gel off of your stomach. "Thank you so much doc" he said to the doctor who simply smiled and nodded "of course, congratulations to you both." She says watching you both exit the room.

"Where do you want to eat?" He asked, you knew he was going to force you to let him pay for it so in truth you wanted to pick something simple.

"Burritos sounds pretty good right now." You shrug  to which he tilted his head, "are you sure that's what you want?" He asked to which you frowned, "yes." You say with a slight attitude, he held his hands up in defense, "burritos it is." He laughed softly.

He didn't want to poke the bear anymore to which he stayed quiet walking you out to the car opening the door for you so you could get in.  As he drove, you placed your head on the window your mind wandering, you left for France in two days and not once has Leighton tried to reach you again. You missed her, her laugh, her smile, you needed her affection whether that be big or small.