•39•

Sitting across from Makenna in the diner, the two of you having met up for lunch, you smiled with a face of disgust as she held the ice cream covered French fries up to your mouth, "that is absolutely horrendous." You laugh as she gives you a 'really' facial expression, "I don't know if you are familiar with the term 'don't knock it till you try it.' It can take you places, ice cream dipped French fries kind of places." She says making you laugh, "oh, really now? Ya know this is what rotten teeth right?" You grinned as she nodded "yes really!" She says you rolled your eyes opening your mouth as she slid food into your mouth, at first you cringed at the sudden freezing from the ice cream and warmth from the French fry before relaxing. "Hm," you hummed as you chewed , your taste buds trying to decide if they like the odd combination or not.

"So?" She asked as you shook your head "10/10 never trying again." You say making her laugh, "now thats actually horrendous." She says, her face softened as she looked at you, "you're beautiful by the way." She says softly her green eyes staring into yours, you could feel the heat rising to your face, she was good with her words that's for sure, "I should be saying the same thing about you." You redirect making her grin, "don't flatter me or I might kiss you." She laughed softly, "then do it." You challenged , "if my flight wasn't tomorrow morning I would do a lot more than that." She whispered, you leaned forward biting your lip softly, "then do it." You repeat in a seductive whisper. Her eyes glanced down at your lips before looking back up to meet your eyes, shook her head looking down, it took alot of self control for her to back off allowing you to win this one.

"Awe what happened?" You teased making her grin, "you are getting off on pressing my buttons." She states leaning back in the seat you doing the same, "no, atleast not all the time." You admit making her chuckle, "are you going home tonight?" She asked as she pulled money out of her wallet handing it to the waiter when she came back, "I'm going to have too, can't avoid him forever I guess." You shrugged standing up as Makenna did the same, "why not talk to him? I know you said you hated the man but communication is key." She says gently putting her hand on your lower back as she guided you out of the dinner.

"Because he doesn't listen." You state as you both exited, "let's walk for a bit." She says nodding in the direction opposite of the cars, you nodded and began to walk with her, "are you sure he won't listen or are you afraid that he'll actually listen and communicate with you?" She questioned and you shrugged "why do you like me?" You flipped the question really not wanting to speak about your dad that much. "What do you mean?" She asked raising an eyebrow, you stopped walking standing in-front of her to stop her as well. "Why do you like me?" You repeat your question, "you're smart, funny, cute, i like you  because of your compassion, your cute smile," she gently pulled you to a hug, "in truth what's not to like about you?" She chuckle "a lot of things honestly. Can I be honest with you?" You ask, you could tell Makenna was a good person and you knew you weren't, your last talk with Leighton had played heavy on your mind all day and you kept thinking what if you hurt Makenna the same way you are hurting Leighton.

"What's wrong?" She asks gently rubbing your arms. "I'm seeing another person...well atleast I was seeing another person." You admit honestly, "and I can see you really like me and that's what I'm so afraid of right now because I'm hurting them and I don't want to hurt you the same way I know they are hurting." You say, you noticed the slight frown on her face before it relax into an uncomfortable smile, "you are seeing someone else?" She asked and you shrugged "I guess not anymore." You say softly "do you love them?" She asked her frown now back. You looked down fiddling with your fingers before nodding slowly, "do you love me?" She asked, you couldn't answer that, not because you didn't want to but because you genuinely didn't have an answer for that. You looked up seeing her pressing her tongue against the inside of her cheek, "Makenna I'm so-" "no..it's fine really. I-I'm gonna head back to my hotel, I'll uh..I'll talk to you later." She says retracting away as you went to gently grab her hand. "Get home safe y/n." She says walking off back to the direction of the diner.

You bit your lip watching as she walked your hands in your pockets. Turning you decided to walk a little more before going home, to clear your head, you dug yourself into a hole with Leighton. You'd be shocked if she even breathed your name on a cold day let alone look at you.

Taking your phone from your bag you dialing her number, straight to voice mail, you tried again it rung for a second before again going straight to voicemail.

Y/n: Leighton I need to tell you something it's important.

Your messages were green, she had blocked your number. You covered your face with your hands sighing loudly in frustration. What else could you do? Nothing absolutely nothing aside from give her the space she requested.
—————————————————

Four days had passed since you and Makenna's breakup and you and Leighton's argument. Like you predicted Leighton wouldn't even look in your direction whilst you taught. Her head always down in the books or talking to Tatum. Tatum in the other hand began to stay after again, small things first asking for help or extra work.

"Class dismissed." You say leaning against your desk, the smile you sported all day finally fading like it had done every day. The students all began to leave "I'll catch up with you." Tatum says to Leighton her dimple showing as she smiled at the other blonde who simply shrugged and walked off she didn't want to spend another second in your class and you didn't blame her.

With the class completely empty aside from your and Tatum you began to grab your things to leave, "do you need something." You asked, "are you okay?" The blonde asked you heard her footsteps come closer making you turn around. "I'm great Tatum really." You say forcing a smile, "do you need anymore help with your assignments? If not I really have to go-" you were stopped by the feeling of lips being pressed against yours. Her lips were just as soft as you remembered but this was wrong, you push her away gently "look i get it," you start "but I'm really no one you want to be around so please stop. Like I said before this-" you motioned between the two of you, "will never work." You explained and she nodded "I know. I just...I missed you that's all. Don't you miss me too?" She asked "Tatum I'm serious what happened between us was a miss understanding." "I don't think it was, you called me to that hotel, you told me to-" "I'm aware of what I did and again I'm sorry. I shouldn't have called you out there I shouldn't have done the things I did with you and I take full responsibility for everything."

She grinned raising an eyebrow, "you do?" She asked and you nodded, "okay, enjoy France by the way." She say softly before turning and walking out of the room, your body relaxed though you were confused about her last statement.

Tatum once stepping out of the classroom pulled out her phone the seeing the voice recording was still going, she smiled and stopped it before walking to catch up with Leighton.