Chapter 27: Bosom Friend

Due to yesterday's incident and the veil covering her face, Chaoyang made a low-key yet attention-grabbing entrance at the evening banquet.

Chen Yuele held Chaoyang's hand as they took their places at the table. The somewhat cold touch made her want to warm that hand, feeling full of tenderness.

Everyone sat on the floor, with a small table in front of each person, laden with fruit and fine wine.

Of course, both the seating and the tables were arranged according to the status and rank of the individuals, positioned in a long line from the place closest to the Emperor, all the way to the entrance of the grand hall. Some of the seating was arranged in pairs. Looking from the end position toward the high hall, one could only see a figure, conveying an air of complete disregard for the Emperor, and there was also a rule that one must not "gaze directly at the divine countenance." In fact, it was difficult for anyone, aside from powerful officials, to determine the Emperor's identity by his appearance alone.

When the Emperor, Chen Tian, appeared, everyone laid down their tasks and prostrated themselves, shouting praises.

This was imperial authority, unmatched and supreme.

Chaoyang did not kneel with the others. She merely bowed slightly, then stood straight, her back as straight as the proud nature of her character, refusing to show the slightest hint of bending.

Chen Tian naturally noticed Chaoyang, the only woman in the room who was standing. Although her face was covered, glimpses of her features could be discerned, and it was evident that she possessed an exquisite appearance. Despite her slender frame, her presence commanded attention, and her eyes, which captured the essence of heaven and earth, exuded a calmness that one realized was an unbreakable barrier.

Chen Yuele rose along with Chen Tian's command. She understood Chaoyang's behavior and didn't say anything. In her heart, she leaned toward Chaoyang. Even though the Emperor was the ruler of all, Chaoyang did not need to kneel for him or anyone else.

The banquet's tone and flow were centered around music, dance, and fine wine. The performers were dignified noblewomen, exuding sophistication and grace, yet still delivering an enthralling performance.

The Peach Blossom Festival was coming to an end tonight, only lasting for these two days. This was the reason the reserved noblewomen were bold and exposed themselves to the public eye.

"Beside Chen Tian, the young eunuch Xiao Mingzi walked toward Chao Yang. Those around the emperor noticed Xiao Mingzi's actions, some consciously and some inadvertently, and recalled the words their own wives had said to them.

What followed was even more jaw-dropping, further reinforcing the earlier words - their empress finally had someone in mind!

Chao Yang arrived at Chen Tian's side with Xiao Mingzi, and they sat together. Their silent exchange of gazes spoke volumes. They both raised their cups and drank in unison. Even the usually reserved Chen Tian revealed a hint of a smile.

However, throughout the encounter, no one could get a clear view of Chao Yang's face, even though she had lifted her veil to drink.

To onlookers, it seemed like a display of mutual affection and meaningful communication, but in reality, their perceptions often differed greatly from reality.

In fact, the cup Chao Yang held contained tea, not alcohol, and Chen Tian's smile carried a hint of mockery.

"Would Prince Jin like another cup?" Chen Tian swirled the cup in his hand, his eyes slightly lowered, creating an illusion of gentle tenderness.

"Good tea, but without good water, tea art, and teacups to accompany it, it inevitably leaves one feeling uninspired."

Chao Yang was not one to be provoked without returning the favor. When Chen Tian made a veiled comment about her only being able to drink tea, she promptly retorted in kind about his knowledge of tea.