Chapter 5: Zijin

Zijin

The night-time Qinhuai River is completely different from its daytime counterpart. This evening, the lights of the Qinhuai River were brightly lit, with painted boats and lively visitors coming and going through the twists and turns. Beyond the riverbank houses, there were terraces with red railings and delicate bamboo curtains. In the waterside pavilions, the soft and charming fragrance wafted on the breeze, while young men and women fanned themselves gently, their hair and accessories exuding a captivating allure. This was the distinctive feature of the Qinhuai River's flower boats.

"Madam, Zijin has arrived." A feigned, coquettish voice rang out, followed by a person entering, dressed in a flamboyant purple robe, and so beautiful that it was difficult to tell if they were male or female. Walking behind this figure was another person, but most of their body was obscured, making it impossible to discern their appearance.

Chao Yang sat in the room with her eyes closed, listening to the melodious music played by the Qingguan. It was only when she heard the voice of the flower girl that she opened her eyes, casting a faint glance in that direction.

Zijin emerged from behind the flower girl, wearing a long, pale purple dress that trailed on the ground, adorned with a light blue gauze that seemed both transparent and illusory. A white brocade belt at her waist exuded a fresh and elegant charm. Every movement and gesture exuded an air of grace, and her three-foot-long black hair, adorned with a simple wooden hairpin, gleamed, complementing her understated attire.

She curtsied towards Chao Yang, her voice as clear as water hitting a rock.

"Madam."

Chao Yang finally lifted the corners of her mouth and beckoned to Zijin. "Come over."

"Yes."

Zijin also smiled gently and elegantly and walked over to Chao Yang, sitting down beside her at her gesture.

"You may all leave. No one is to disturb us."

After Chao Yang's words, the flower girl promptly led the others out, throwing a flirtatious glance at Chao Yang before leaving, causing Chao Yang's eyelids to twitch.

"Zijin, why do you think that woman, the flower girl, has become this way?" Chao Yang asked with a smile.

"Fish are happy in water," Zijin chuckled. She carefully inched closer to Chao Yang, who did not refuse her.

"Indeed, let her do as she pleases."

After saying this, Chao Yang seemed to nonchalantly smile, but a hint of something unusual in her eyes went unnoticed by others.

The flower girl's secret was known only to herself. She had dressed herself in this androgynous manner for the sake of a woman, falling in love with her and causing turmoil within herself for the other's sake... Unfortunately, the woman in question abhorred her greatly.

The pitiful and tragic love the flower girl held for that woman.

In the matriarchal society of Yunqi, a woman held the same status as a man did in other countries. Women could have multiple husbands and consorts, while also shouldering the responsibility of supporting the family and maneuvering through political and military circles.