29. family

POPPY ELLISON

"Tell me more about your parents," I urge as I shove my feet up onto the luxurious leather seats and tuck them into my body, being careful of my sore knee. "I don't even know their names. I know nothing about them. I should probably know something before I meet them."

Gabriel studies me for a long moment as he lounges back in the chair opposite me. His ankle rests at the tip of his knee, rolling his index finger over the curve of his lip. He takes up the entire space of the chair, acting as if it's his throne. All I know is, he looks so fucking good doing it.

My core whimpers at the sight, especially the way his dark eyes watch me as I talk. As if I'm the most interesting being he's ever seen. He never hides his honesty from his eyes, he lets his vulnerability show and I truly admire that about him.

"Their names are Riley and Spike."

I widen my eyes in surprise. "Spike?"

Danger. That's the first thing that comes to mind when I think of that name. More so than Rexx. How could anyone call their son Spike without setting out their life for them already? It screams trouble.

Gabriel releases a hesitant laugh. "Yeah," he places his hand onto his ankle. "My grandparents were rather creative for their time."

"When was the last time you saw them?"

He tilts his head to the ceiling of the plane. "Long ago. Years."

"Years?"

"Yeah. I told you before, we grew apart. Alexia doesn't really see or speak to them anymore. They decided not to listen to us when we said that they're getting too old for their job now. My father ending up in the hospital is what I expected." Gabriel sighs before leaning over to grab his crystal glass of honey coloured whiskey.

"And they're..."

He quirks a dark brow at me. "Vigilantes."

"Right," I rasp. "How long have they been doing that for?"

"Since they met in their twenties," Gabriel nods, bringing the glass up to his lips and taking a gentle sip. I watch his throat as it clenches around the liquid and suddenly I'm thirsty and not for a drink. "They bonded over trauma I presume. Decided to take revenge on those who wronged them and then began to make a career out of it. Now they won't let it go. It's their passion but they're getting on, broken bones and comas have been on the cards forever. If my father pulls through, it'll be a miracle."

I watch his expression but nothing tells me that he's sad about it. "And if you lose him?"

Gabriel shrugs simply, taking another sip. "Sure, they brought us up. Taught us how to defend ourselves, how to fight, how to make an impression in this industry. But a lot of my childhood was actually quite lonely and I had to become independent fast. That's why I left when I was seventeen. They're not great parents. They should have been playing with us with new toys and scooters, instead they were teaching us how to use a knife to maximum destruction."

His daunting voice has a shiver running down my spine. I can't say that I've had the most beautiful upbringing but I couldn't imagine being in his position. He barely knew love, all he knew was self-defence.

"Do you hate them for what they did?"

He runs his finger around the rim of his glass, looking away from me now. I swallow sharply. I might have crossed a line there. I've asked so many questions and I know I'm already going to be in the limelight next.