11. smiling

GABRIEL DALTON

Lonzo has been out all day 'sorting' someone out. But what he really means is torturing someone to spill information. He told me not to come, which I obliged. He can be vicious and unfair sometimes but that's just Lonzo.

Alexia also turns a blind-eye. She's slowly learning to get used to it but I know she knows what he's doing. It will never get easier for her. She was never meant to be a part of this lifestyle. Sadly she fell in love with the fucker.

The question is how and I'll never understand. Or want to know.

For the entire morning I've been sitting at the kitchen counter, sorting through Lonzo's work whilst he's away. I'm used to it now, especially after their extended holiday. I don't mind doing it but staying at home is a mundane task. I prefer getting out and getting my hands dirty.

Alexia approaches the counter at some point in the afternoon. I smile at her and lower my laptop. "Everything okay?" I ask.

She hums simply. "Just doing some reading for uni work but I'm getting bored and my eyes hurt."

"How was your date night?" I ask as she perches on the stool in front of me.

"Amazing," her eyes light up with surprise. I never really ask about what they do together in their spare time but slowly I'm becoming used to the idea. I want her to know that I'm somewhat interested because I can't be bitter for the rest of my life. "It was so beautiful and the food was delicious. What did you do?"

I stare at my sister for a few moments. "I invited Poppy round."

"You what?"

"She wanted to learn how to cook, so I invited her to learn." I shrug and focus back on my work, pushing the lid back open. "She was free and I thought whilst you guys were out, it would be a good opportunity."

I can feel Alexia's gaze burn into my forehead. I'm ready for the interrogation.

"Do you like her?" She asks and I glance up to find her eyebrows wiggling suggestively in my direction.

My forehead creases. "I don't know her well enough," I admit. Which is true. "She seems lonely and when you abandoned her the other day, I felt guilty. She was hungry so I offered to make her food. There isn't much more to it."

Poppy is a hard shell to crack. She doesn't let on how she's feeling. Yet her eyes tell a thousand different stories. A mystery I'm determined to figure out.

At first I was sceptical about her. Now I'm certain she's a lost soul in a cruel world.

Hell knows I want to find out. Even if I shouldn't. Even though it's none of my damn business, I'm too nosy to stay out of it.

I'm not even entirely sure if I buy her story on arguing with a friend. Why wouldn't she just say that in the first place? I guess some people are more secretive than others and doesn't want to showcase her business as gossip.

Maybe I'm reading into things far too much.

We're two completely different people.

Alexia hums after a few moments, dragging my attention back to her. "She's gorgeous," she comments freely. I watch as she stands from the stool and begins to make a cup of coffee. "Her red hair is to die for."

"I know." I say without hesitation.

My sister glances at me over her shoulder, a soft smile on her lips. "I need to make it up to her about the other day. I feel so bad. Lonzo was in such a bad way and now I realise it was rude of me."