24. confusion

POPPY ELLISON

The amount of times I've shamelessly touched myself to the memory of straddling Gabriel's lap and remembering the way his fingers circled around my clit, the way I rode his hand like my life depended on it.

I thought one orgasm and I'd be able to distance myself from his charm, his aura. But in all honesty? I can't get him out of my damn head. My poor clit is crying because my hand just isn't quite the same, the way he handles me is different. He is different.

The past week I haven't seen him at Dark Suite which isn't totally unusual considering he comes and goes as he pleases. I know little about his involvement with Zane's business but I've come to realise that they're helping each other out.

I hate to admit that I'm the one who is looking for Gabriel this time. As I dance on my podium and he's nowhere to be seen. My heart sinks. I haven't received a text or a call. Nothing. Now I can't help but think something has happened.

Or maybe, he has no desire for me anymore. One night and everything was over.

My head shakes. Get over yourself, Poppy. Not everything is about you.

The next night I stand up on my usual podium and dance my little heart out. I enjoy every second because the distraction is everything I need. It's also nice to think that I can make my own money even if Rexx doesn't give me access to it.

I can still be that independent woman making her dollar.

As I push my hands down my latex bodysuit and matching leggings, I swish my hair over my shoulder and sway my hips to the quick tempo. I flick my eyes up to the VIP area in which I find Zane's body leaning against the balcony, then I move my gaze to the person beside him.

My heart in my chest begins to thrash at the sight of that dark haired man with a scar slashed across his brow and a body covered in tattoos. Right now he looks moody, brown eyes set forward and a drink in hand. I keep my eyes on him as I dance because I so desperately want his attention.

I haven't seen him for days—almost a week.

Man, my life really has taken a turn.

For some reason I hold my breath as I move my body, eye latched onto his. Then when he twists his body, white shirt with his sleeves rolled up to his elbows flashing off that soft, muscly skin I tense inside. Those intense eyes roam over the dance floor. He knows where I usually dance and he's the first to look at me.

But not today.

Something has changed and it makes my gut twist with unexpected nausea.

There will never not be a day where I wake up in fear that he knows something, that he's worked something out. That he starts planning my death. Because death by his hands will be the most heartbreaking way to go out.

Two men I don't recognise stand beside Gabriel and Zane in plush suits that look expensive and suave. I hold my breath for a second as I watch them converse, I don't recognise them but I presume new business partners or clients.

After what feels like an eternity, Gabriel's eyes float to mine. They linger for a few moments and I flash him a smile, even though I'm about to go into cardiac arrest inside. But then he shatters my soul to pieces when he glances away, as if barely acknowledging who I am. His expression is beyond bored. Not even an ounce of a smile. Absolutely nothing but coldness.

It feels like I've been punched in the sternum. Completely throwing me off.

Is he giving me a taste of my own medicine after avoiding him before?