10. questions

POPPY ELLISON

When I get home from spending the evening with Gabriel, I'm physically exhausted. It's not because I don't enjoy being in his company—now I've realised I really do. But having to pretend that everything is okay when it's not is tough.

Knowing that Rexx wants me to dish out information on them, including Alexia. It shatters my heart to pieces. How am I meant to do that when they've been so kind to me when I've done nothing to deserve it?

The thought of betraying them will keep me up for the rest of my life.

Not if they find out first and fucking torture me for it. That I will deserve

When I attempted to go home that night, I had to convince Gabriel not to drop me home or get one of his drivers because I don't want him knowing where I live. Instead I said that I could get a cab, he's already done so much for me today. I couldn't ask for anything else.

Of course, Gabriel being Gabriel was sceptical at first but he eventually let me go.

Alexia didn't come down for the rest of the evening, only to say goodbye to me. Whatever went on with Lonzo's work, it must have been serious. Alexia promised to make it up to me next time but honestly... I didn't mind spending time with Gabriel.

He might seem overbearing and protective at the club but he seems like a genuine guy.

It's hard to come across those in this town. He's an anomaly in this fucked up world.

As I walk towards the kitchen, the last person I'm expecting to still be up is sitting in the living room with a short drink in his hands. I press my fingers to my chest as I jump, not expecting him to be up this late. "Rexx," I gasp out loud, trying to calm down my rapid heartbeat.

His dark green eyes slide over me and for a moment I'm petrified. Have I done something wrong? No, I've been doing what he asked. I've been spending time with Gabriel and his family for his sick benefit.

"Nice night, Poppy?" His voice is like barbed wire.

I merely nod and take off my jacket slowly. "Yeah, it was pleasant." At least that's not a lie.

"And you spent it with Gabriel?"

My stomach churns at the sound of his name on his lips. "Yeah," I whisper. I'm already mentally preparing myself for the demands of information but even though I barely know anything, I don't even want to tell him that Gabriel likes cooking. Not that it'll be useful to him but I can't even bring myself to say it.

Rexx leans forward and rests his elbows onto his knees. The dimmed lighting of the living room makes his face look more sinister than usual and my skin crawls at the sight of him. A villain out of a Disney movie. Their faces are always morphed to be ugly.

"So tell me," he nods before raising the glass to his lips and finishing his drink. "What did you find out about Gabriel and Lonzo this evening?"

I shift pathetically on my feet. My eyes resist the urge to squeeze tight at his question but I don't want another repeat of last week. I can still taste the water in my lungs, in my veins. Everywhere.

I do not want a reminder.

The nightmares that follow are just as bad.

"Well," I say slowly. "I know Gabriel has been spending a lot of time at Dark Suite."

Rexx hums and swipes a finger over his lip. "What else?"

I clear my throat and glance to the wall, pretending to remember. "He's close with the owner. I've seen him a couple of times."