[20] Kill Switch

(Clarification: if you feel like the story is jumping too fast, it's because the canon story fills in the rest. I'll still try my best to pinpoint where we are in the books but let me know if you don't get it.♡)

LILY

I was about to leave my position at the front desk when I saw her, her blonde hair flew gently with the breeze from the door opening. She looked ahead, her eyes unfocused. 

No. What the fuck is she doing here? I stilled, almost not breathing, but I figured her senses were heightened. “I’m sorry? I can feel you…can you help me?” Her soft voice asked and I cursed under my breath. “Uhm…Yeah, good morning. How can I help you?” 

I asked, mustering my polite and professional voice. It’s a random girl, it’s a random girl. I kept on thinking trying to distract myself from the fact that she was not a fucking random girl. 

“Yeah…I requested some audiobooks? I got the email that they’re ready…?” 

She said, but her question lingered, and I got the hint that she wanted to know who I was. Fuck. “L-Lily…I’m Lily, Miss Ashby.” I said, and I saw her expression turning from questioning to surprise. Yeah, yeah. Okay.
“Oh…Hello…” She said politely, and I couldn’t help but roll my eyes. I forced myself to pretend to be fucking professional, but I wanted to dip. 

“Okay, so Ashby Winter, here are your audiobooks, I’m gonna check them out. Is there anything else you need?” I asked here, while scanning the barcode behind the books. 

“Yeah, actually I think my sister requested a book…” She said, unsure. I looked behind me, in the shelves with the alphabetic order but there was nothing left under Ashby. “Uhm…I don’t see anything else at the name Ashby-” “You should try Torrance, you know since she’s married to him” She said, cutting me off. Ouch. Fucking ouch. I breathed deeply, mumbling she was right and looked down at the T and found Arion’s book. I checked out that too and helped Winter putting the books in her bag. I looked at her, she was so pretty, goddammit. I hated how perfect she looked. 

I sighed, and straightened my back again before speaking.

“If that's all, I wish you a nice day, Miss. Ashby.”

I said, keeping my polite and professional tone before turning around to walk away.

“Do you hate me?” Winter's soft voice asked, making me stop in my tracks. Ugh, seriously?! 

I turned around, trying to read her expression, a mix of curiosity, insecurity and challenge formed on her face.

“Why would I hate you? We don’t even know each other.” 

I simply replied, which was true, I knew her and her story, because she was part of the elite society of Thunder Bay being the Mayor’s daughter. But she didn’t know shit about me. 

“Will mentioned you…it seems there’s lots of hostility though…”
She said, frowning her brows as she probably recalled her conversation with Will. Jesus, what did he tell her?

“We have uhm…a troubled past…”
I retorted, thinking about the shit I pulled with them, no wonder they didn’t like me. I stood my ground and called them out on their bullshit, pretending to play along with their games only to betray them at the end. I wasn’t very friendly either, and it wasn’t because it was my personality. I didn’t trust rich people, they were opportunists and only cared about themselves or the ones at their level. 

“The Horsemen…don’t really like you, do they?” Winter asked again, and I scoffed almost proudly. It was almost satisfying how a little random girl got them shit their pants.