[17] The Black Sheeps

(Clarification: if you feel like the story is jumping too fast, it's because the canon story fills in the rest. I'll still try my best to pinpoint where we are in the books but let me know if you don't get it.♡)

LILY

I smoothed my black dress over my body. I was absolutely uncomfortable but I was invited to this boring party, I mean, Michael and Rika's engagement party, so here we were. I knew I was a nobody, since I wasn’t part of the elite society of Thunder Bay, no one was looking at me and I didn’t mind it. I only felt his eyes on me. Damon. The last time we saw each other it wasn’t pretty, he wasn’t willing to let go of his revenge, and I wasn’t willing to wait for him. Not when I knew his revenge was on the girl he had loved years ago. I knew he did, I could feel it. Mara had also said they sounded very intimate in the video that was posted online, not that I watched it. I didn’t care to watch it, not back then, not now. 

I didn’t know what to think about this whole situation, I was so confused about everything. About my feelings, about him, about how my life was going. I wanted to live normally, not being thrown into this mess. Damon’s words rang in my ears, the things he went through in jail, as if his past with his mother wasn’t enough. I cried for him more than I cried because of him and I was feeling like the biggest dumbass in the world. 

I glanced at him, with the corner of my eyes, as he leaned against a high table, his left elbow propped on the surface while he brought his glass to his lips with his right hand. His piercing eyes hungrily scanning my body. I felt naked, as always, when he looked at me. The YSL’s dress was simple, long sleeves, short skirt, a slight deep v cut neckline which wasn’t a problem since I wasn’t very gifted in the boobs area. I rented the dress in Meridian City, even though Rika told me she could have easily bought one for me, but I refused her offer. I didn’t talk much with them, well, they didn’t talk with me. I couldn’t blame them, I betrayed them, I fooled them, and chose Damon even though they told me not to and they were right.

I saw Banks, Rika and Alex from time to time since they went to college in Meridian City, and they came to the library to get books. I watched them from afar, as they laughed and studied together, and I wondered what I would be doing now, if my parents were still alive. Would I be studying in college as well? Or maybe working? A different job from the library?  While I watched them, sometimes Banks would come to me, and we would chat for a bit. She was cool and she would tell me a bunch of stuff she and Damon used to do and I was glad they had their fun, they deserved it. 

I sighed, coming back to reality, Damon was looking around, and I noticed how people stared at him, their sideways looks that they immediately averted as he held his gaze at them. No one was talking to him, they avoided him as if he was a monster. A black stain in their pretentious and fake elegant and classy white. Each one of them was a monster in their own little world, they just hid it. Damon was definitely the kind of man who didn’t hide, he didn’t care about what other people thought of him, he lived as he wanted, paid the consequences of his actions and definitely plotted world destruction in the shadows. Maybe he was a black stain, but that stain was so much more interesting that this whole bunch of boring and tasteless pricks. Or maybe I was biased because I knew he could fuck really good, who knows…

His eyes rolled and as they did, they met with mine. I couldn’t help myself, and I awkwardly waved at him with my hand, my arm attached to my body as if I didn’t want anyone to see. It was subtle, it was just between me and him, because I felt bad, because he looked lonely, just like me. He looked confused for a second, until his lips curled up in a grin, slightly tilting his chin up in a greeting way. I hated how handsome he looked, in his black suit, tall, imposing and fucking hot. His black hair messy and his eyes cold and intimidating, and I hated how they would soften just because he was looking at me. Damn him!