Chapter 43 Confessions and Counsel

Jacqueline Salazar sat at the kitchen table in Olivia Hawthorne's home, nervously fidgeting with her cup of coffee. Across from her sat Olivia and her mother, Carmen Salazar. The warmth of the afternoon sun streamed through the windows, casting a golden glow over the room.

Carmen and Olivia exchanged curious glances, sensing that Jacqueline had something important on her mind. Carmen reached across the table, placing a comforting hand on her daughter's.

"¿Qué pasa, mi amor? Parece que tienes algo en mente," Carmen said gently.

Jacqueline took a deep breath, feeling the weight of her mother's and Olivia's expectant gazes. "I do, Mom. It's about Ethan."

Olivia leaned forward, her curiosity piqued. "Ethan Knight? What about him?"

Jacqueline hesitated for a moment, then decided to come clean. "I think I have a crush on him," she admitted, her cheeks flushing with embarrassment.

Carmen's eyes softened, a knowing smile spreading across her face. "Ah, el amor. Es algo hermoso, pero también complicado. Cuéntanos más, cariño."

Olivia nodded encouragingly. "Yeah, tell us everything. How did this happen?"

Jacqueline sighed, feeling a mix of relief and nervousness as she began to recount her experiences with Ethan. "We've been spending more time together since that first accidental meeting. Every time we're together, I feel this connection, this spark. He's kind, intelligent, and has a great sense of humor. I can't help but be drawn to him."

Carmen squeezed her daughter's hand reassuringly. "Es natural sentirse así cuando encuentras a alguien especial. Pero, ¿qué te preocupa, hija?"

"It's just... I don't know if he feels the same way," Jacqueline confessed. "I don't want to ruin our friendship if he doesn't see me in that way."

Olivia smiled sympathetically. "That's a valid concern, Jacqueline. But sometimes, taking a risk is worth it. Have you noticed any signs that he might feel the same?"

Jacqueline thought for a moment, recalling their interactions. "Well, he's always really attentive when we're together. He remembers little details about me and seems genuinely interested in what I have to say. And we've had some really great conversations. But I'm not sure if it's just him being friendly or something more."

Carmen nodded thoughtfully. "A veces, las señales no son tan claras. Pero si sientes algo fuerte por él, quizás deberías intentar descubrir sus sentimientos."

Olivia agreed, her expression supportive. "I think you should talk to him, Jacqueline. If he's as great as you say, he'll appreciate your honesty, no matter what."

Jacqueline smiled, feeling a bit more confident. "You're right. I should at least try to find out. Thanks for the advice, both of you."

Carmen leaned over and kissed her daughter's forehead. "Siempre estamos aquí para apoyarte, mi amor. Sigue tu corazón."

"Gracias, mamá," Jacqueline said, her heart swelling with gratitude. She turned to Olivia. "And thank you, Olivia. You've been such a great friend."

"Anytime," Olivia replied with a grin. "Now, let's finish our coffee and make a plan. We'll help you figure out the best way to talk to Ethan."

The three women continued to chat, their conversation filled with a mix of Spanish and English, laughter and supportive words. Jacqueline felt a renewed sense of hope and determination. With the encouragement of her mother and Olivia, she knew she could face her feelings for Ethan and see where their connection might lead.

As the afternoon turned into evening, Jacqueline left Olivia's house with a lighter heart. She had a plan and the support of the people she loved. No matter the outcome, she knew she had taken an important step towards understanding her feelings and pursuing her happiness.