Chapter 22: A Lengthened Stay

The vibrant city of Madrid buzzed with life as Mateo Ramirez walked through the hospital's bustling corridors. He had been in Spain for three weeks now, each day a blur of hospital visits, consultations with doctors, and caring for his father. His father's surgery had been successful, but the recovery was proving to be more challenging than anticipated.

One afternoon, as Mateo sat by his father's bedside, the doctor entered with a serious expression. "Señor Ramirez, your father's recovery is progressing, but it will take longer than we initially thought. He will need extensive rehabilitation, and it's crucial that he has family support during this time."

Mateo's heart sank. He had hoped to return to America soon, but the doctor's words made it clear that his father needed him here. "How long are we talking about, Doctor?"

"At least three to four months, perhaps longer," the doctor replied. "It's important for his recovery that he has someone to assist him with daily activities and to provide emotional support."

Mateo nodded, his mind already racing with thoughts of how to manage the extended stay. "I'll do whatever it takes to help my father. Thank you, Doctor."

After the doctor left, Mateo turned to his father, who had been listening quietly. "Papá, don't worry. I'll be here as long as you need me."

His father reached out and grasped Mateo's hand. "Thank you, hijo. I couldn't do this without you."

That evening, Mateo called Olivia from the small apartment he had rented near the hospital. Her voice was a comforting balm, filled with love and concern. "Mateo, how's your father doing?"

"He's recovering, but it's going to take a lot longer than we thought," Mateo explained. "The doctors say he needs at least three to four months of rehabilitation. I can't come back to America until he's fully recovered."

There was a brief silence on the other end before Olivia spoke, her tone resolute. "Mateo, we understand. Your father needs you, and that's the most important thing right now. We'll manage here until you can return."

Gabriel, Ethan, and Leo were also on the call, their voices chiming in with messages of support. "We've got everything under control," Gabriel assured him. "You focus on your father, and don't worry about us."

"Take care of your dad, Mateo," Ethan added. "We'll be here when you get back."

Leo's voice was calm and steady. "Family comes first, always. We'll keep things running smoothly."

Their unwavering support filled Mateo with gratitude. "Thank you, everyone. I miss you all, but knowing you have my back makes this easier."

Days turned into weeks, and Mateo settled into a routine. He spent his mornings assisting his father with exercises and attending therapy sessions, and his afternoons making calls to check in with Olivia and the others. Despite the distance, their bond remained strong, their daily conversations a lifeline that kept Mateo connected to his life back in America.

One day, as Mateo and his father sat in the garden of the rehabilitation center, his father looked at him with a mixture of gratitude and guilt. "Mateo, I'm sorry you're stuck here because of me."

Mateo shook his head, his expression firm. "Papá, there's nowhere else I need to be right now. We're family, and we take care of each other. You're going to get better, and we'll get through this together."

His father's eyes filled with tears. "Thank you, hijo. Your support means everything to me."

The months passed slowly, but progress was made. Mateo's father grew stronger each day, his spirits lifted by Mateo's unwavering presence. Mateo found solace in the routine, drawing strength from the love and support of his family across the ocean.

Finally, the day came when the doctors declared his father fully recovered. Mateo felt a surge of relief and joy as he helped his father pack up his belongings from the rehabilitation center. They returned home, the city of Madrid vibrant and full of life as ever, but this time with a renewed sense of hope and gratitude.

Mateo called Olivia, his voice filled with excitement. "Olivia, the doctors say my father is fully recovered. I'll be coming back to America soon."

There was a cheer on the other end, followed by Olivia's warm, joyful voice. "That's wonderful news, Mateo! We can't wait to have you back."

As Mateo prepared to return to America, he felt a deep sense of fulfillment. He had been there for his father when it mattered most, and now he was returning to the loving arms of his partners, his heart full of gratitude for the family that had supported him through it all.