30. Coffee

Chapter 30 - "Coffee"

Shadow's POV:

I got up from my bed and stretched my back, it's been 2 days since we arrived back on Earth, still have a lot to catch up on. I brushed my quills and headed down to the Lobby where the cafe was connected to. I looked around, not much people were awake, besides it was only 4:30 AM.

I ordered a simple dark coffee. I picked a seat and I opened a newspaper, I read through it endlessly despite the fact that this news isn't even new anymore, I just did anything to keep myself occupied, just until Sonic wakes up and annoy me over and over again. Though, I find his company very comforting.

I lift my eyes from the piece of paper and glanced around, I saw a woman with blonde hair and a nurse coat with blue clothing underneath, she was Marianne, Rouge told me she was the head nurse. But there was just something about her that pulled me closer to know more, she's hiding something I knew it. But I didn't know what. I was getting to lost in my thoughts to know that she was walking towards me.

I flinched and pretended to not know, I went back to sipping Coffee and reading the newspaper, she sat in front of me with her own Coffee mug full of coffee too, but the milky kind. She peaked through the newspaper and looked at me.

Maria: "Hi..!"

Shadow: "Ms. Marianne, lovely morning, no?"

Maria: "Heh, yeah..."

There was silence for a bit, I sipped from my mug and she did the same, I flipped the papers of the newspaper and she spoke again.

Maria: "You're Shadow The Hedgehog, right?"

Shadow: "Yes, I am, is there an issue?"

Maria: "No no, It's just- I've heard so many stories about you. You seem so fascinating."

I moved the newspaper lower to stare at her, I raised a brow, acting unbothered.

Shadow: "Some people would call me an enemy, since I'm kind of Sonic's rival.."

Maria: "But you two are.. Dating, right?"

Shadow: "Kind of, yeah.."

Maria: "But I see you more of a hero than a rival, you really just wanna protect the world, right?"

I get more confused, a little uncomfortable even.

Shadow: "Yeah.. Though I only protect the world because a certain person---"

Maria: "---Told you to."

Shadow: "Excuse me?"

Maria: "I'm sorry for interrupting, it's just a little overwhelming to meet your heroes."

I let out a small chuckle, I sip from my coffee and she did the same too, still staring at me.

Shadow: "What did you say your name was again?"

Maria: "Marianne."

Shadow: "It reminds me so much of someone else I knew, and you act a lot like her too."

Maria: "I- I do? Was she dear to you?"

Shadow: "Yeah.. Very... But she's gone now."

Her expression darkened, I could see the sadness in her eyes. I tilt my head at her like a puppy and ask.

Shadow: "You seem down?"

Maria: "It's nothing, don't mind me."

I drop the newspaper and sip from my coffee, she sighed and looked at me again.

Maria: "How do you feel about.. Losing her?"

Shadow: "Good question... Back then I'd keep crying about how she was gone and I'd never see her again, but now since I'm around the people I love, I sense her presence in them.. In him.."

Maria: "Him?"

Shadow: "Sonic, of course."

She chuckled and I smiled, she sipped from her coffee and I did too. She glanced around and looked back at me.

Maria: "Well, you aren't as bad to talk to than I expected."

Shadow: "No, even I'm surprised, I just feel some sort of attachment to you.. You're very interesting, Marianne."

I saw a bead of sweat fall down her forehead, strange. I shook it off though, I took another sip from my mug, she smiled at me.

Maria: "T-Thanks.."

Shadow: "Can I call you Maria instead?"

...

She was silent, did I say something wrong? She looked nervous, even sweating.

Shadow: "I'm sorry, do you not like nicknames?"

Maria: "No, no, it's not that.."

Shadow: "Your name's very familiar to another person I love, someone I lost, I just thought maybe I'd bond with you like I did with her. I'm sorry-"

Maria: "No!.. No, call me Maria, please."

I let out a sigh of relief and chuckled.

Shadow: "I'll be a little more respectful, does.. 'Miss Maria' sound good?"

She nodded, I was satisfied, yet I haven't uncovered her secret. But I'll take it slow, after all she seems very jumpy. I took another sip from my coffee, she took a sip from hers. 

Maria: "Oh, looks like I ran out of coffee.."

Shadow: "Is that so?"

Maria: "Yeah... Well, I'd better go now, I have patients to treat. Bye!"

I waved at her with a smile on my face, she stood up and walked away, leaving her mug, her mug stayed there with bits of coffee drops getting dry on the surface of it's ceramic face. I frowned a little bit, this feels weird, I have a feeling of.. Deja vu? Damn, maybe I might be a little foolish to nicknaming her Maria.

I stood up and took my mug with me, I placed the chairs back neatly in the table and placed the newspaper on top of the table's surface. I walked away from the cafe, looking for a new place to relax. 

I decided to go to Sonic's room to see if he's already awake, I knocked on the door then went inside, I saw him laying on the bed and the whole hotel room looking like the aftermath of a disco party.

He turned over and over in his bed, I walked up to him and placed a kiss on his forehead, that managed to wake him up.

Shadow: "Morning, sleepy head."

Sonic: "Morning Shadzz..."

author:

the coffee is foreshadowing, if you have an eye for details, you might know how I'm gonna turn this story around.

also sorry for the short chapter.