26. I can be a hero too

Chapter 26 - "I Can Be A Hero Too."

Maria's POV:

I grabbed a snack from a snack bar, tied my hair into a bun and climbed the rooftop of an apartment. My eyes landed on Eggman's Lair, it was pretty far so I considered chaos controlling there.

Maria: "Chaos control!"

With the snap of a finger, I appeared on top of Eggman's building, on the rooftop at that matter. Badniks surrounded the area and appeared stronger than the ones encountered at the bunker, but it was no sweat for me.

I hid behind one of the stray pillars and thought of a plan to get inside without being noticed. Chaos controlling could attract attention and send the building into lockdown, running through them could also attract attention and I'm not so fast at running, fighting them all could badly hurt me.. And- also attracting attention.

I looked down on the railings and saw an open window, theoretically, I could land inside that building, just hoping there would be no badniks, I had to check. I took out a make-up mirror from my bag and tied it to a rope, and tide the rope to the stray pillar. The badniks seemed to be powered off so I could move easily, just quietly. 

I dropped the mirror near the window and looked at it, trying to get a good view, no badniks, perfect! I picked the mirror back up and grabbed on the rope, jumping off the rails and landing inside the window.

I looked inside, the lights were on but no one was there, this looked like his own office, but, it was messy? There were worn out metal parts and the furniture was done and destroyed. Most importantly, there laid the crystal bomb, in pieces. I only needed one shard and a few extras.

I tried to pick up a shard but the door burst open, I yelp and got pricked by a sharp one, I hid behind his desk and hoped he wouldn't notice. He kept yapping about something, to someone.

Eggman: "And I want this place scrubbed squeaky clean! Got it?" 

Cubot & Orbot: "Yes Boss!"

The fat bellied mastermind walked around the room, observing the surroundings as the two robots grabbed a broom. My hand started bleeding from the crystals, it hurt but I couldn't make a sound at all. Suddenly the blood started to pour and maneuver it's way outside the desk.

Damn it. They saw it.

Cubot: "Hey boss, what's that?"

Eggman: "What's what?"

Closer, and closer. I felt my breathing get heavier, I lost control and pushed the desk upwards, revealing my hiding spot, and plus points for the 'hitting-Eggman-in-the-nose' part.

Eggman: "OW! WHAT THE??!! WHO ARE YOU?!"

He fell to the ground and I took the moment to bag a few crystals and store them in my bag. Eggman got up and stared at me in disbelief, I felt awkward to be in front of my cousin, especially when I was supposed to be dead, he doesn't even know I'm his cousin.

Eggman: "Who- you don't look like one of Sonic's kind?.."

Maria: "Uh, no I'm not."

Eggman: "Uh, G.U.N perhaps? Well suck it G.U.N!"

He pulled out a remote and he clicked it, suddenly 2 more deadly badniks entered the room, by now, the two other robots (orbot and cubot) had hid inside a closet.

As if with ease, and definitely by ease, I pulled out a gun and aimed right for the robots, pulling the trigger.

The sound echoed through the room and the robots were injured, not dead enough, but on the floor, Eggman didn't seem pleased.