Chapter 67

"My attempt to steer them away from a combat profession was a complete failure," Cale replied. "I was hoping they would settle down and live peaceful lives. Though, I suppose it was a bit shortsighted on my part to have chosen Harris Village for that purpose."

"Why do you say that?" Litana* questioned.

"I chose the location for its resemblance to their original home," Cale began. "I was hoping they would eventually find comfort in the similarities between it and their original home, but I completely overlooked the fact that its proximity to the Forest of Darkness and being surrounded by various overpowered individuals would inevitably steer them right back toward training for combat."

"We wanted to make sure we were strong enough so that what happened to our home and family before would never happen again," Maes explained.

"I see," Litana* nodded. "It seems like your plan to keep them from training to be a knight's brigade was doomed from the start with how determined the children were to become strong enough to protect their new home and family."

"It was indeed," Cale agreed. "I do still think they train too much and should spend more time playing like children should, but in the end, it's their choice and they all know they have other options available to them. Wait...you all do know that you don't have to train or fight, if you don't want to, don't you?"

"We know," came the quick reply as the Wolf pups all rushed to reassure their father.

"Good," Cale nodded. "Also, once we get back and everything has settled down, we should all have a conversation about whether or not any of you wish to start lessons, attend an academy, apprentice with someone in a field you find interesting, or leave things as they are. That goes for you as well, Lock, On, Hong, and Raon."

"Alright," the children happily agreed.

Chapter 67: Wasn't Supposed to Be Like This (4)

That odd sensation continued until Cale arrived at the dinner table. All he said was one sentence.

"I will be visiting the Whipper Kingdom for a bit."

Clang.

The spoon in the hand of his youngest sister, the 7-year-old Lily, fell to the ground.

Lily felt her cheeks heat at the words on the screen. She remembers that time and she knows she kind of overreacted at that moment.

"No reason to be embarrassed, Lily," Cale called out. "I was going to a legitimately dangerous place and as far as you knew, I'd recently finished recovering from injuries I'd sustained during a dangerous situation not that long before I announced my intentions to head out again. You were also unaware of just how strong my escorts were at the time. I'm sorry to have worried you."

"Ah, you don't need to feel bad about worrying me," Lily quickly responded. "I did that all on my own. Besides, now I know just how strong you and everyone else is and that you always have a plan to do things as safely as possible, so that everyone comes home and that makes me not as worried anymore."

"Once we get back and finish everything up, I have no further plans to do anything dangerous," Cale began. "Then you won't have to worry at all."

"Thanks, orabuni," Lily smiled. She didn't actually believe that though. Her big brother seems to always find trouble in some way, so she will just have to get strong enough to go with him. That way she will be able to make sure he stays even safer.

Cale turned to look at Lily after hearing the noise only to see Lily with a pale face and the corners of her lips shaking.

"My teacher said."